Making a sharps barrel in my lathe.

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

homebrew .357

Re: Making a sharps barrel in my lathe.

Post by homebrew .357 »

Now that nice bit of black walnut for the stock has been cut into two bits, butt stock and forearm. For fitting to the barrel and action I use my long suffering lathe, makes for a nice snug fit and once it is fitted then I can see what wood to cut back. Started with the forearm and it fits on good, then shaping to finish I have a nice forearm. Homebrew.357.
Attachments
Bits ready for fitting.
Bits ready for fitting.
Nice piece of wood for stock.
Nice piece of wood for stock.
Same for the forearm.
Same for the forearm.
P1020309.JPG
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Ok, so now I had the forearm fitted I could shave, sand it to sharp. I set up the stock to mill out the trigger plate slot, then a bit of chisel work got it fitting nice. Now as a side bit my hunting trip with my Hawken rifle went pear sharp, yep , saw a reed deer at 50mts up with old lead poison, Kabooom,, missed it, no meat for the freezer. :oops: . So then I got back home I pulled off the barrel and rehoned the bore, it had a tight spot at the muzzle end. Then lead lapped with 600grt past, all this made the bore a bit bigger and at the range first five shots were low, so tried some thicker patching on the R B`s and to my surprise all on the money. The pic`s. Homebrew.357.
Attachments
Forearm finished.
Forearm finished.
Cutting trigger slot
Cutting trigger slot
Fits in nicely .
Fits in nicely .
I will not miss next time.
I will not miss next time.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi Guys, this rifle is just about finished, using my lathe helped with fitting the wood to metal, and speaking of metal , I had a go at etching some ghost bison on to the side plate and it came out not to bad. :wink: ,Homebrew.357.
Attachments
Trigger assembly fits in.
Trigger assembly fits in.
Action into the stock wood.
Action into the stock wood.
Action with the ghost bison on side plate.
Action with the ghost bison on side plate.
All fitting in nicely .
All fitting in nicely .
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi, Now with the action in place I can start removing wood to shape the stock , also the butt plate and back sight have arrived from T O T W and after fitting on the butt plate this helps a lot more. So with a lot of shaving, sanding I got it ready for oiling, I wanted a 1874 oil look and it`s not to bad. Homebrew.357.
Attachments
Butt plate on.
Butt plate on.
Rough cutting out.
Rough cutting out.
Looking good.
Looking good.
At the oiling stage.
At the oiling stage.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi , Here is the finished oiled black walnut shock, I think it look good for the rifle, what do you think. :wink: . Now I had the back sight I could do the last bit of machining on the barrel, milling the dove tail slot on top for it , then I can assemble the barrel to the action permanently. :D Homebrew.357.
Attachments
Has that 1874 look.
Has that 1874 look.
Again.
Again.
Last bit, milling slot.
Last bit, milling slot.
My usual back yard setup.
My usual back yard setup.
Using the D T I .
Using the D T I .
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Oops, two pic`s the same, will fix. Now this has been a loooooog thread and now I can say the rifle is basically finished, it`s all assembled and just needs proof testing and bluing of all the steel parts. So there you go , just shows what you can do with what you have got by thinking outside the square and working out how to do it. The kiwi Quigley 1874 Sharps in 45-70 came out at 12 3/4 lbs, and it fits in the bead worked gun cover nicely ,it will be a reasonable shooter or a heavy wall hanger , I've had a lot of fun with this hobby and hope in some way it helps with your projects. Will keep you posted on the Sharps bucket shooting. :wink: , Cheers all, Homebrew.357.
Attachments
The other side.
The other side.
In here is 2 1/2 years of work.
In here is 2 1/2 years of work.
The Kiwi Sharps.
The Kiwi Sharps.
P1020596.JPG
P1020597.JPG
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Last pic.
Attachments
That's a big hole.
That's a big hole.
P1020598.JPG
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

well done kind sir
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

I have enjoyed following the threads on the building of this fine firearm. She looks great! I'm looking forward to hearing how she shots.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Ok guys, Gave the "beast" it`s first taste of lead to day, three hot loads for proof checking, 58grs varget, all was good, but at 1,800 mv a bit of leading that I only noticed when I cleaned it. I then shot seven more shots, 50grs varget, to set the sights at 50m, low and right first, but the last three where getting there, six o'clock hold.
This is a black powder cartridge so that's what I`ll be using. Just have to see what it likes. For finishing it just needs stamping on top of the barrel , "1874 SHARPS 45-70" and then blued. Homebrew.357. 8)
Attachments
Coming right, need a bit left.
Coming right, need a bit left.
The beast got hot!!.
The beast got hot!!.
Not bad for the first shoot out, move over Quigley.
Not bad for the first shoot out, move over Quigley.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

First I enjoyed watching the build. Pics loo to a good result. I dont think marching the sights in is a problem.

Did you polish the rifling for smooth? Polish or brush the lands to cut lead grab?

The 45-70 by definition is .45 caliber with 70 grain load, although it may be argued that modern powder is better and more powerful than original black powders. The question being, would not 60-65 grain perform better? Low charges build too much pressure in loadings, after a certain point is reached. Any way, It is my curious question, not a sorta, shoulda, woulda, adice thing.

I am a cap and ball shooter, and cannon up to bowling ball. I like the smell of pawder in the morning. :twisted:
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi Steamimg10, First ,for the test I used "Varget" smokeless power, A D I, 2208. 58 grs is a max load for the ruger no 1, so that gave a kick in the butt, and yes I did lead Lap the barrel with 600grt paste to polish it in. I will be loading it with black powder and the fun part is finding out what I likes. I`m looking at all the black powder forums to learn reloading of this cartridge, Cheers, Hombrew.357.