Close range

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

refinery mike

Close range

Post by refinery mike »

You guys are going to love this. Someone nailed a buck in the middle of the town i work in. So they called the police. The car had broken all four legs and the deer was laying in the ditch very much alive. The police man was told he had to shoot the deer for safety sake. He took careful aim and blew the right antler off. (My boss got it, man i wanted that thing.) Aimed again and missed compleatly. finnaly the third shot he hit the deer. Three shots from about 4 feet away. Now dont you feel safe.
hammermill

Re: Close range

Post by hammermill »

thats why they give em those big clips :) :roll:
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

There was an police shooting incident a while back in which 140 rounds were expended at an unarmed target and only four hits were made (don't know how serious they were.)
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

Now dont you feel safe.
Not really, but that is preferrable to the spontaneous fire experienced when cops get jumpy around here in SoCal.

examples.....

(1) Slow speed OJ Simpson type chase that went on for miles. Even had the White Bronco with a black guy driving. This was 5 yr ago. LEO's finally block him in on a residential street. Surround perp car with a dozen officers with guns drawn. During all the required yelling, screaming, and beehive melee around the vehicle. A shot rings out. Suddenly the air is full of gunfire. Investigators found that 115 rounds had been expended. Several of which actually hit the perp car. But only 4 hit the suspect. All non-lethal. None even critical. Thank the PTB's.

First shot resulting in the fulsade was fired by a clumsy sheriff's Dep that tripped over curb while walking backwards and fired shot into air. Suspect wasn't even armed.

(2) LEO's massive manhunt for a cop killer cop last yr. Suspect is 6 ft 1" tall, weighs 230# is black with shaved head driving a grey Toyota extend cab PU.

Cops shoot 130+ rounds [guess investigators got tired of counting after that] at 2 petite hispanic women driving a blue Nissan PU delivering newspapers. One lady was hit in back with 1 shot, luckily not much velocity or tissue damage after penetrating tailgate, back of cab, and seat. Other lady got a cut on hand from flying glass.

Same manhunt 4 blocks away. Cops fired 32 rounds at a skinny white 40 yr old surfer driving a black chevy trk. None hit him

Do the math.........that's 177 shots fired with 5 hits, none lethal. That's a .002% hit rate. :oops: At least your guy hit one out of 3. :shock:

just say'n :wink:
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Sounds like making scope mounts for Glock 17's, 21's, and 22's could be a booming business...

But then you'd have to make holsters as well to accept them.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Obviously marksmanship is not taught in police academy. Or self control for that matter.
boaterri

Post by boaterri »

All the more reason to go back to revolvers as their duty weapon. If they know they only have 6 shots before reload they might actually aim! The reload takes longer too.....

Rick
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Having spent hours at the handgun range with Police officers and Sheriffs Deputys shooting right beside me I can tell you it is laughable how bad some (most) of them handle a firearm.

But then most of them go through their entire career and never have to discharge their weapon in the line of duty! My Unlce was the Captain of the Police Department in North KC and never ever had to fire a shot.

So that is why they "make" them go to the range and fire their weapons. They show up with ammo that is green from being carried on duty for years and guns that they have not cleaned in who knows when. After all, they didn't shoot them so why clean them.

I've even had officers tell me they "Hate" guns! Mostly college grads who got a degree in "Law Enforcement" and never grew up shooting guns.

They only train to shoot at 7 yards or less as they say anything out farther than that is not a threat. I actually was in the lane next to an officer who was having to do some sort of qualifying and all he had to do was hit a full sized body target at 7 yards 40 out of 50 times. I'm not talking 10 ring, just hit it anywhere in the black. HE FAILED!

I could not help but say something so I said "I bet I can do that blindfolded" The trainer took me up on the challenge. No blindfold available so I closed my eyes, used the shooting desk in front of my body to find square and then emptied my 10 round mag. I hit 10 for 10 with my eyes shut. Now isn't that a laugh.. Actually is is pretty sad when you think about it.

Now you know why they went to tassers with laser sights on them!

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

When I was in my 20s (a long while back) I spent time in a local gun store. A cop -- call him Harry -- who only ever had traffic duty in the middle of town, came in one day, and buttonholed the gunsmith for a long whispered conversation, handed over his service revolver, and left.

So naturally I went over and said "what was Harry going on about?" and the smith said "he tried to unload his gun and he barely could get it out of the holster; then the cartridges wouldn't come out". When we looked at the cylinder, the cartridges were surrounded with green brass crud. We soaked it with penetrating oil for a while, but we still had to drive them out with a hammer and dowel.

Of course nowadays, most departments require cops to "qualify" once each year or two. I don't know what constitutes "qualifying", but I'm sure it has nothing to do with firing a "combat course". Probably more like scoring 60/100 on a silhouette at 7 yards.

In a way, this could be a good thing, given how trigger-happy so many cops seem to be. If they're going to "spray-and-pray", at least let them not hit anything important.
Pete in NJ
refinery mike

Post by refinery mike »

What i think happened is that he looked down at those big brown eyes looking up at him and couldn't look. Closed his eyes and jerked the trigger. a sure recipe for shooting high. We are so sepparated from the source of our food people can not immagine shooting anything. I grew up on a farm and you knew from the start, everything that you raised was going to get killed sooner or later.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Many years ago, when my children were still at home, they went out to catch the school bus, and came back in very excited a deer was laying in the ditch across from the house. My son stated correctly that her back legs were broken. My youngest dotter Stephanie, asked me misty eyed to take care of her. They all knew, as I had been a hunter, what had to be done, and we would have garlic, deer steaks and stew. In a few minutes the bus came, and went, and I stood by the road with my .380. The Doe tried to stand and fell back, and gave me a long look, as I sighted in. In that moment, she simply sighed and lay down quiet, as if finally resigned to her fate. I fired a round perfectly through the back of her head, and it was over. I had no more than tucked the pistol in my pocket, when a County cruiser rolled up. He had seen me fire from up the road, and only asked, 'Is she done?' I nodded, and he got his clipboard and made out the needed claim tag. He helped me drag the carcuss to the garage only 100ft away.

From that day I have hunted rarely, as her final look haunts me. In the field I have sufered losses from thieves with things stolen from trucks while afeild, and two sets of ten foot stages (blinds) for hunting. It has soured me on the whole deal, and for the last ten years I have gotten calls for 8 road kills. So I joke that my favorite hunting weapon for deer is a Ford pickup. Harvest and take home in one weapon. Plastic grills can be had for about $29. Ask me how I know.

On my second date with Rose, I got a call from my oldest dotter, that she had a deer in the trunk of her Chrysler, and she was coming to give it to me. Since we were out I tried to dump my date and get home for business. Weell she learned it was a downed deer, and as it worked out, Rose spread the rear legs open as I spilled the gut pile on the field, from the tailgate of my Ranger. She wasnt squeemish, so I figured I had a keeper right there. And so it goes.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.