Stevens 20 Ga. repair.

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

hammermill

Re: Stevens 20 Ga. repair.

Post by hammermill »

i suspect the gun was cyanide pac color case hardened using chemicals you are not going to find today. if you have it hot blued prep,polis and cleaning are the deviels details and work/cost

just as a thought consider anodizing this is not unreasonable process to do at home

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~burleigh/JECS_2007.pdf

this said i have done it with al but not steel, then again some of the black oxide finishes look/wear pretty good.

all food for thought :)
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Chased down the pistol smith Friday, an he said the favored shotgun is a shooter and not worth spending any real money on it. he said the finish is kaput with all the micro rust pits all over. he suggested to clean and de-oil with laquer thinner or similar and use a cold blue to add some color and protection. So thats what I did, Casey cold blue creme (selenious acid), and it darkened the reciever block with some rainbow hues, and deepened the barrel color while disolving most ofthe specled rust pits. He said three or four wipings will improve the color and protection done over a coupla days. He said oiling the surface will stop the blue from doing any more, but oiling is necessary to stop rusting. I suppose the chemical blueing leaves the surface open unless added protection is used.

Anti raider shells of 2 3/4 high brass #2 shot have been laid in for the 20 Ga. I was limited to steel shot (Goose load) but 1440 fps is pretty much rippin' for a shot shell. I have only a coupla random slugs and bird 7.5s in my storage.

Sunday morn, the complex teardown of the action pins and springs will happen and I will change out the firing pins. Mom will be on the road with Rescue meets transfering animals to other homes.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

You might consider Parkerizing the piece to camouflage the surface damage. It holds oil well and is an interesting finish. But it's not free.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Mom has kept me hoppin, and I haven't removed the action pins yet, fearing my attention will be needed to retrieve lost springs and such, so I am waiting for a 'quiet' time, which nearly never happens here.

I have deoiled and wiped the barrel and action block with Casey Cold blue paste and am well satisfied with the color enhancement. Thanks for the suggestion, on the parkerizing.

This shotgun was my first, and the TLC I give it will be the last I do, as it will outlive me, and it is older than I am anyway.

I appreciate all the info, and the time to pass it on. Be in peace.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Well I took the action pins out and there was some rust on hammer springs, and pins. I used some spray choke and carb clean to blast away the grime collected since the last time I took this SxS down, when I was about 35. A coupla cotten swabs made it good enough. The new firing pins are identical, without the wear. The old ones have some mushrooming, and one broken of course. The right retaining screw has the slot nearly hammered closed. The left with the broken pin is good. Both soft springs are distorted, but went back in. So with that the cocking lever is good, with its spring, but the hammer tension springs, one was a bit of rust, with its pin, so they were wire wheeled to smooth and derust, and given a quick wipe with gun blue. With them installed in the breach, they are so stiff on the hammers, I cannot align the pin holes to set the side pin through. So, stalled and getting the urge for a bigger hammer, I put it in a pan, and will make a pointed drift, of one consistant diameter to push though, and align the hammer pivot holes, and follow closely with the action pin. Once aligned it should follow right through, tapping the drift out and the pin into place. I seem to remember a problem before, but not the remedy. I will also use my wood lined vice to hold the breech block as a third hand when I restle this thing again. I have visions of spending hours on the floor looking for the launched part, my greatest fear. ( SPRoingggg! OMG NO!).

This is more fun than I thought, but I will think my way through. The second pin holds the safty arms, and must clear the thumb safty before they will release the hammers. The trick on them is to load the arms with the springs released and then raise the springs into position with a small screwdriver, so they rest on the arm tops, hooked in. (Sear arms?? Dunno what to call them.)
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

any chance of two dimensional joy?
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

If you mean pictures, I can try, but I have a trip coming up, and will be gone for a week again. GF is taking me to Branson for some R&R. (I think I need more GF's!) I have issues with my Bozo puter, so pics are a chore.

Leaving Friday morn, with the Ponderosa in the hands of the house sitters. They gots animals to talk to. :D
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Don't labor on account of me, I'm libel to drool on your nice work.

Keep in mind that more GF's and R&R are mutually exclusive!
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...