Pronunciation

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

refinery mike

Pronunciation

Post by refinery mike »

Can one of you tell me how to pronunce Weebly like as in the Brittish pistol. I have alway thought it to be simple phonetical but lately i have heard other pronouncing it in different ways. Thanks for helping in advance!
GeorgeGaskill

Re: Pronunciation

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

I think the correct spelling is Webley and I have always pronounced it the obvious way, webly. However, that is no guarantee it is what the original designer said.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

webley best spoken with a 60 year old scotch and the proper school tie old chap
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Jeeze, with my bad hearing, I thought it was WEBERLY. I looked it up, and I was mistaken, not wrong.... Uh. :lol:
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
JackF

Post by JackF »

I thought I was wrong once but that was a mistake. :roll: :wink: :lol:

Jack.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Handled my first one about fifty years ago. Never heard it called anything but "WEB-lee".

Good sturdy gun, if a bit Frankensteinian. I should've bought half-a-dozen when they were $12.95.
Pete in NJ
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

I should've bought half-a-dozen when they were $12.95.

Yeah, but $12.95 was a lot harder to come by in those days. And ammo would be a problem.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

The old gag was that, by the time they decommissioned these, the ammo allowance was "two rounds per man, per year", because the .455 Webley stuff was getting short.

If memory serves, they sold "half-moon clips" that let you put .45 ACP into the cylinder. I'm sure that was nowhere near as accurate as the original .455 round, but hey, it made something hard come out the front end.

Yes, $12.95 was a LOT harder to come by. Even when I first started work in 1962, that was a day's pay (before taxes) for a clerk in a fabrication shop (ME !).
Pete in NJ
shovel80

Post by shovel80 »

WEB-LEE

Terry