Need lock plans...

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

daved20319

Need lock plans...

Post by daved20319 »

I'm toying with the idea of building an airgun version of a double rifle. What I have in mind is a double trigger, exposed hammer design. Problem is, I have no idea how the lock works are designed. Anyone know of any plans available anywhere? The more detailed the better, I'm fairly good at the "make it work" process, but the better the beginning, the better the end :-). Thanks.

Dave
spro

Re: Need lock plans...

Post by spro »

I'm too recent to know about exposed hammers on an air rifle. Spoke with a friend about this and he mentioned that back in the Lewis & Clark expedition they carried one. It had a big air bladder which hung down and took awhile to pump but they felled deer and moose with that rifle. So back in those days they used a hammer to open the valve. He thinks the actual gun resides in the Beeman collection or ded. Bates patents or something around that time.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

might want to look under quackenbush and Benjamin air rifles
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Might also want to check "Gas, Air, and Spring Guns of the World" (I think - THINK - that's the title).
Fascinating book. If it's not still in print, someone ought to re-issue it.

I remember the local library had a copy back when I was a kid, and I spent a lot of time reading and re-reading it. Especially cool was an account of test-firing a .75-caliber "air cane" into a fireplace.

EDIT:
That book still is available from Amazon (and I assume others). But the one with the "air-cane" story I was referring to is "Air-Guns and Air-Pistols", by Leslie Wesley. THAT one is out of print.
Pete in NJ
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks Dave for asking the question ! I've been reading Mr. Beeman's account of the search for Merriweather Lewis' air rifle. Until fairly recently there was question as to the maker. The gun is a Girandoni and the whole story is at http://beemans.net/lewis-assault-rifle.htm
very interesting to me and the links to others with this type info
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

there should be some air gun building info in this site, it started with a couple build projects

http://firearmsdesigner.com/