damaged feed rails

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

heisler0

damaged feed rails

Post by heisler0 »

Well heres the story bought a mauser 98 action off of GB had it shipped in, thru it in the safe and finally getting around to going over it. It looks like someone has jammed something in the action and damaged the feed rails on left side when I say damage I mean about 1/2" bent down into magazine well. The action is not twisted, I can find no cracks as im figuring someone was trying to remove the barrel without a action wrench and this is the result. Is there anything else I should look at to check integrity of action as I am thinking of using a removable clip if all else is ok.
hammermill

Re: damaged feed rails

Post by hammermill »

you need this book http://www.midwayusa.com/product/661999 ... kuhnhausen it will prove invalauable
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

Just got it about two weeks ago slow reader thou might take me awhile to get thru it
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

A lot to asorb I wonder if the mags will progvide a feed lip
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

I used one on my 450 marlin build with a little modification :lol: feeds ok needs a stiffer spring. This is my first purchase from GB probably last makes me nervous as to wether same person turned bolt handle. Might just trash it and chuck it up to learning exprience
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

Well any awucton site will be like a vist to a car lot.
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

I am not familiar with any details of GB but if the piece was misrepresented, you should have a cause for action. Is the seller still offering items?
unioncreek

Post by unioncreek »

Contact the seller. If that wasn't listed in the description I would request to be able to return it. If they refuse contact GB. It can be fixed, if you should wish to keep it. Not really a big deal to heat and straighten they cool. Should not affect the hardening of the receiver if done quickly.

Bob
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

unioncreek wrote: Not really a big deal to heat and straighten they cool. Should not affect the hardening of the receiver if done quickly.

Bob
I question the validity of that comment. Any heat beyond 700° F will anneal, at least partially, steel that hardens by the carbon cycle. It is my opinion that anything so heated should be properly heat treated afterwards. My comment is based on safety---I'd not feel too good about being responsible for an action that couldn't tolerate standard loads.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

if you are going to bend or tig on a bolt, do some reading up on heat sinks and heat blocking paste first. it used to be common to do the work with a gas torch tig now being more common. hope you are enjoying the book
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

I'm sure I waited to long to inspect it is why I did not try to return it. I have to admit I ordered, picked it up from the ffl holder and never opened the bolt just put it away for about a month before I looked at it. My bad I should have inspected it right away :( . The action is still usable just going to use a removable magazine with it been looking at 6.5-284 possibly.

Hammermill
Yes a great book with alot of information
unioncreek

Post by unioncreek »

Harold,

I assume people know more than they do. I should have also added in heat treating.

Bob