Chapman style safety

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

heisler0

Chapman style safety

Post by heisler0 »

I was reading there is annealing and Re-heat treating needed for the is? Has anyone here installed one of these? What procedure did you use for annealing and when rehardening what did you harden it to?
pacrat

Re: Chapman style safety

Post by pacrat »

Is this the safety you are refering to?

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/re ... d5474.aspx
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

Yep thats it.
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

heisler0 wrote:Yep thats it.

I have personally never installed either the Chapman, Weisner, or PME which are all very similar. But know several folks who have. Since it involves milling a slot and D&T'ing a hole I see absolutely no reason that shroud would need any re-heat treat.

JM2c
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

i may suggest checking out a few of the gun digest books on sportizing mauser actions. in the 60,s thru 80,s this was a common practice and much has been written on amazon or ebay they will sell far a few dallors each.
dunlap is one author who comes to mind
prnghrn

Post by prnghrn »

I have done a few of the chapman swing safeties. Annealing the bolt shroud is done so that hss steel cutters can be used. If you use carbide cutters you can eliminate the annealing. The Glen Chapman holding fixture sold at Brownells is almost a must for doing these mauser conversions, saves "boocoo" time in set up. You will need a 3"x 1/8"x 30 tooth slitting saw blade and arbor and a 1" x 1/4" woodruff key cutter to complete the installation. This is the easy part, this conversion requires alot of hand fitting and trial fits to get the safety functional. If you plan on doing several of these the outlay for tools and fixtures is worth the price. If you only are doing one you would be better off to have a smith do it for you. As far as re-heat treating the shroud I heat it to about 1500 deg, bright cherry red and quench it in atf fluid. also do the swing lever for the safety, after quenching cook it at 400 deg in the oven for about an hour to temper it. Hope this helps.
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

Thanks again for the replys!
Thats what I was looking for just wanted to see how critical the heat treat was.