drilling barrel wall?

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

heisler0

drilling barrel wall?

Post by heisler0 »

What would be maximum depth one could drill a barrel wall. The reason for this question is a friend has an old 22 single shot with a hinged breech block that lifts up, no maker marks what so ever but it looks like it a factory gun. Has a little engraving but its just a nice simple design. When breech block rolls up it push an ejector to remove spent case from barrel. Anyone seen anything like this would be interesting to see who made it.
heisler0

Re: drilling barrel wall?

Post by heisler0 »

Maybe i need to elaborate. If I have a 1" sqaure barrel and chamber diameter is .476 I need to put two screw one from each direction as hinge pinsshould I leave .125 between hole and chamber or could I drop down to say .067 or maybe it should be more distance? the screw diameter is probably going to be 3/16". Or would it be better to dril and thread hinge pins all the way thru before I chamber and allo the screw to fill entire void?
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

You should give more information, particularly what cartridge you are planning to use. So far, it doesn't sound like a good idea.
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

The original gun was chambered in 22 but I was thinking of seeing if I could copy in 45 acp. Also could change the design to have a reciever that the barrel threaded into if needed but would make it a little more bulky.
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

You should make the hinge pins integral with the breechblock and figure out some way to keep them in the receiver while making it possible to assemble and disassemble. Or maybe look at a hinged breech shotgun and see what ideas that gives you.
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

heisler0 wrote:What would be maximum depth one could drill a barrel wall. The reason for this question is a friend has an old 22 single shot with a hinged breech block that lifts up, no maker marks what so ever but it looks like it a factory gun. Has a little engraving but its just a nice simple design. When breech block rolls up it push an ejector to remove spent case from barrel. Anyone seen anything like this would be interesting to see who made it.

I'm confused. You describe an early 22 SS with a hinged breech block. Which sounds like a Stevens Scout or Junior action. Then ask about drilling the barrel so it will hinge. Which would have a fixed breech like a single shot shotgun.

1" square barrel leaves a lot of meat even with a .45 acp chamber. You could drill completely through the barrel well forward of the chamber and below the bore for a hinge pin and it would be much simpler than trying for perfect alignment of 2 holes from opposite sides.

Here is a pic of a Stevens Junior the Scout had a 2 pc stock and fit/finish was a little nicer.
Attachments
stevens junior single shot.jpg
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

Here is a couple pictures of the gun. The hole on the side was for a little handle to lift block which i am working on making a new one.
Attachments
pic 1.jpeg
pic 2.jpeg
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I've seen guns like that before, mostly chambered for .22 rimfire or 9mm Flobert... not high-pressure cartridges. The entire load on the case-head will be taken by those two straps that pivot around the pins. I don't think I'd want to shoot such a gun chambered for .45 ACP unless those straps were a LOT more substantial.
Pete in NJ
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

PeteH wrote:I've seen guns like that before, mostly chambered for .22 rimfire or 9mm Flobert... not high-pressure cartridges. The entire load on the case-head will be taken by those two straps that pivot around the pins. I don't think I'd want to shoot such a gun chambered for .45 ACP unless those straps were a LOT more substantial.
From what I can see it looks as if the 2 abutments at rear of reciever [one each side of hammer slot] take the rearward thrust of breech block. But since they are slightly angled for clearance of the breech block when it hinges up. I must assuredly agree with your last sentence.

Way BIG difference in recoil thrust between a little 40 grain 22 slug and a 230 grain 45acp.

JM2c
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

As long as there is sufficient "slop" (in this case intentional) in the hinge screws so that the swinging piece can ride against the rear of the breech, this system should be reasonably practical. In a certain sense, it works like the trapdoor Springfield rifle of the post-Civil War era. The back force of the powder pressure pushes through the hinged piece into the standing breech.

I would still look to put the hinge screws somewhere other than aligned with the chamber.
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

Thanks for all the replys! This is a work in progress and might not happen at all if I cant feel safe in the design but think there is potential for a little camp rifle or just something for the boy to shoot. I never thought of lowering the hinge point below center so as not to intruded on chamber. Was also thinking of a couple pins to lock the block in when lowered completly?

Any thoughts on manufacture of the one? I have never seen one before and cant find much for markings on it there is a little circle under the barrel with what looks like LL stamped in it but iit is wore and cant tell for sure.
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

You should take a look at the trap door Springfield design. The hinge pin on that is actually above the barrel. If the hinge point were below the barrel, which would be possible with the design you have shown, the bottom corner of the breech block would pivot clear of the inside corner and little or no angling of the standing breech would be required for the breech block to move freely. You would probably want a small radius on that corner anyway.