New Problem - Need Advice

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Chuck38

New Problem - Need Advice

Post by Chuck38 »

I have a Winchester 94 lever action. I want to install a front sling swivel. It is the type that slides over the magazine tube. In order to slide it over the tube, I have to remove a screw at the front.

The screw is in very tight and am afraid I will twist it off.

Is there a sure fire oil penetrant that will loosen it up? I know that sometimes, after applying a thread loosening compound you can strike the head of the screw downward with a properly sized srewdriver and it will break it loose.

Also, if it doesn't come out after the oiling and striking, I can put it in a vice with wooden blocks on my drillpress and apply downward pressure with a hex screwdriver blade so it won't slip and turn the chuck by hand. Two person operation.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Chuck
steamin10

Re: New Problem - Need Advice

Post by steamin10 »

HEAT.

Locktight or some other thing may have been applied, and tapered screws commonly used on guns can be very sticky. Use your favorite penetrant, I dont know that it matters which one, and a Photo lamp, or infared, or lay a regular 60 watt bulb on the metal to get some temp. (Not allheat comes from a torch ya know). And probabaly most important of all, use a good grade, well fitting screwdriver, to keep from slipping or obliterating the slot. The drillpress idea for alignment is stellar. good luck.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

Of course mounting it tightly. There are some very small impact drivers for which a special bit can be ground to meet your excact screw. They avoid going wild like a less tactile tool. As the tool and bit is pressed against the screw it reaches a point where it releases the wound spring to drive the screw with some impact. A few go rounds with one should have effect. Thinking back, I shortened a spring of one, so it would work this way.
Chuck38

Post by Chuck38 »

Thanks for the ideas, and thanks for the compliment, Dave.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I'll put in a plug for my favorite penetrant, KROIL. Made here in the USA by Kano Labs in Tennessee - website:
http://www.kanolabs.com/

Be sure to check for promotional deals. Last time I ordered, I got free shipping. F'rinstance, there's a special for people who get to the site via Google; there may be better ones. Ask -- It's the kind of company where, when you call, you'll talk to a real person who knows the products.

Usual disclaimer -- I have no connection, personal or financial, with this company or its products. I'm just a (VERY) satisfied user.
Pete in NJ