Way oil on semi auto pistol slides

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

nipperdog

Way oil on semi auto pistol slides

Post by nipperdog »

I was looking at the specs for ISO-32 way oil. It is designed for sliding surfaces, and has an adhesive additive to keep it from running off of the the surfaces to which it is applied. It occured to me that these qualities might make it an excellent lubricant for semi auto pistol slides. I have been using it on a couple of my 1911s both CM, and SS frames and it seems to be working very well.
steamin10

Re: Way oil on semi auto pistol slides

Post by steamin10 »

Way oil is designed to have a stick-slip quality to it, and I would think too heavy for gun use. It may grab and hold dust and lint.

They make gun oils that are fine machine oils, that penetrate the pores of the metals. It is what it is designed for.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
hammermill

Re: Way oil on semi auto pistol slides

Post by hammermill »

not to pick at your selection, if it work and you are happy.
i use the tri flow with teflon in it that uncle sam had made by the tanker car loads. so it was available cheep.

the main issue with heaveyer oils is when cold weather strikes things tend to lock up. like fireing pins and slides.