laser for target practice

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

SteveM

laser for target practice

Post by SteveM »

I have the task of helping a special-needs kid learn target shooting. His issues are mainly with his legs, although he has minor coordination issues.

I was thinking that we could take a .22 and do some dry fire practice. I thought of making a mount to put a laser pointer on the barrel so that he can see the gun movements magnified on the target, but I was wondering if there was something already on the market, maybe that worked with the trigger to pulse the laser when the trigger is pulled.

I found this, but it's not trigger activated:
http://www.amazon.com/Sightmark-SM39021 ... _sbs_sg_51

Also, can anyone recommend snap caps for .22? There are some on amazon, but the reviews are all over the place. I need one that can take more than a few shots.

Steve
Dave_C

Re: laser for target practice

Post by Dave_C »

Steve,

I have seen some that fasten on the front of the trigger guard. I have no idea who makes them or what they cost. They usually end up on pistols instead of rifles but I see no reason that you could not use such a device.

I made a simple adaptor for my son's 22. He bought a simple laser somwhere (no idea where) but it had no mounting hardware.

I machined a block that split in half with two channels. One to fit the barrel and the other to fit the small laser. The laser had the aligment screws built into it so sighting in was not a problem.

He was happy with it!

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

DrDavo wrote:I machined a block that split in half with two channels. One to fit the barrel and the other to fit the small laser. The laser had the aligment screws built into it so sighting in was not a problem.
That's what I was figuring. At least with that, we can see issues of aiming, steadiness and flinching.

Steve
david5605

Post by david5605 »

There are all kinds of aftermarket firearm places (and the manufacturers themselves?) that make laser pointers for firearms.
Thats not to say the homemade version won't work.

There are camps that like laser sighting and other camps that don't. In your case its a good way for you to see what he is aiming at. I'd still teach him to use the sights on the barrel though. One firearms instructor I dealt with said the laser spot was too distracting. He convinced me to stay away from them for the time being till I know what the heck I'm doing.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

david5605 wrote:I'd still teach him to use the sights on the barrel though. One firearms instructor I dealt with said the laser spot was too distracting.
Good points.

Maybe I should have the laser point to the side off the target so that he won't see it through the sights. It's a peep sight, so he will have limited visibility.

If I got a target with multiple targets, I could have the sights point at one with the laser pointing at another.

Just thinking.

Steve
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Again, it's not trigger-activated, but I picked up a Crosman laser sight for about $20 at a gun show last year. It mounts on standard dovetails, either 3/8" or 1/2". Fairly bright red. Came with a "continuous-on" switch and a pressure-switch on a pigtail.

You might be able to set up the little finger-pressure switch under the trigger (f'rinstance, double-stick-tape it to the inside of the trigger guard, where the trigger will hit it when pulled).

Just a random thought.
Pete in NJ
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

PeteH wrote:Again, it's not trigger-activated, but I picked up a Crosman laser sight for about $20 at a gun show last year.
Is it this one:
http://centerpoint.crosman.com/accessories/CP0427C
PeteH wrote: You might be able to set up the little finger-pressure switch under the trigger (f'rinstance, double-stick-tape it to the inside of the trigger guard, where the trigger will hit it when pulled).
Crossman web site has it at $32.

I like that. Cheap, easy and reliable, like me :-)

Steve
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

That's the baby. Very compact, and although I don't know if I'd put it on a high-recoil gun, it certainly seems to work on a .22 or a 9mm carbine.

Check a couple of other sources, though, and you may find one cheaper. Here's a different brand (a known one) on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Pistol-Rif ... d_sbs_sg_2
Pete in NJ
mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic »

If you don't mind Chinese products take a look at Deal Extreme.
http://s.dealextreme.com/search/laser+rifle.html?page=2

I have had fair luck with their stuff.
Dave J.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
Rolland

Post by Rolland »

I have a small laser that I use to drive the cats crazy, it was for weapons mounting. since I don,t need it and the cats are all ready nutz you can have it if it will work for you. I made a bracket to mount on a round rod for a project but did not finish it.
pm me if you want it. I check every so often.
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

For snap caps go the po-boy way and just used fired cases. Just be sure the FP hits a fresh spot each time.

JM2c
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

If you are not going to shoot live ammo, you might just take the firing pin out of the bolt and put it some place safe until you start using live ammo. Then you won't need any snap caps.