1/2 scale Gatling

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: 1/2 scale Gatling

Post by Harold_V »

I worked in the trade for years.

I'm impressed! 8)

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JackF

Post by JackF »

my65pan,

Just so I can learn; did you have the cam and indexer parallel to the X axis to start the cut then move all to the correct angle to make the next cut to the proper º mark then move all back to parallel again then repeat? In my head that would work but not having ever done it I could be all wet. :roll:

Jack.
my65pan

Post by my65pan »

JackF wrote:my65pan,

Just so I can learn; did you have the cam and indexer parallel to the X axis to start the cut then move all to the correct angle to make the next cut to the proper º mark then move all back to parallel again then repeat? In my head that would work but not having ever done it I could be all wet. :roll:

Jack.

What I did was calculate the tool position for all 360 degrees of the cam. Starting at zero I plunged the tool through the cam, withdrew the tool, indexed to one degree., etc until I came to 36 degrees. After that I had to move the tool .009325396 in "X" per degree until I reached 162 degrees, stayed at that reading until 210 degrees, then worked my way back in "X" in .008901515 increments until 342 degrees, then back to zero. 360 plunge cuts in all. Hope that makes sense.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Thanks my65pan,

I'll be drying off now. :roll:

Jack.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

my65pan wrote:What I did was calculate the tool position for all 360 degrees of the cam. Starting at zero I plunged the tool through the cam, withdrew the tool, indexed to one degree., etc until I came to 36 degrees. After that I had to move the tool .009325396 in "X" per degree until I reached 162 degrees, stayed at that reading until 210 degrees, then worked my way back in "X" in .008901515 increments until 342 degrees, then back to zero. 360 plunge cuts in all. Hope that makes sense.
Poor man's CNC, that's what it is.

I recall having to machine a helix once, the same way. Very nicely done!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Tailspin Tommy

Post by Tailspin Tommy »

I recently completed Machine Shop class at Pima College in Tucson. Am seriously considering a building project (as I am retired) and have my own mill and lathe.
I expect a learning curve, but is this within the abilities of a new machinist?
When I order prints/DVD from company, would you consider emailing back and forth if needed.
Yours looks amazing and I am impressed. I may change to a tripod mount system for mine.
Thanks for the time

Tommy
Tailspin Tommy
my65pan

Post by my65pan »

Tailspin Tommy wrote:I recently completed Machine Shop class at Pima College in Tucson. Am seriously considering a building project (as I am retired) and have my own mill and lathe.
I expect a learning curve, but is this within the abilities of a new machinist?
When I order prints/DVD from company, would you consider emailing back and forth if needed.
Yours looks amazing and I am impressed. I may change to a tripod mount system for mine.
Thanks for the time

Tommy
I don't see why a new guy couldn't build one. I'd be happy to help you out if I can.
Go look around on the Gatling forum linked below, lots of helpful info and folks there also.
If you are planning on using a tripod you'll need to order the plans from D&E as the RG-G only comes with carriage plans. The D&E plans are more accurate to an original Gatling, but it seems like very few people if any have ever gotten one to work for more than short bursts. A few guys have made hybrids using RG-G internals, but scaling the mag base etc. from the D&E plans for a more authentic look. I may try to make a D&E style mag/base arrangement for mine at some point also.

http://www.gatlinggunforum.com/forum/in ... 940c9caa6e
my65pan

Post by my65pan »

I blended and polished up the slot surfaces in the cam today.

my65pan

Post by my65pan »

Some more progress.