1/2 scale Gatling

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

my65pan

1/2 scale Gatling

Post by my65pan »

I have this project posted elsewhere on the web, but I'm new here. I'm using plans from RG-G inc, and still have a long way to go.
Attachments
000_2020.jpg
000_2017.jpg
Harold_V

Re: 1/2 scale Gatling

Post by Harold_V »

my65pan wrote:I'm using plans from RG-G inc, and still have a long way to go.
Stunning, beautiful work! :wink:

Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the forum.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
gaintwist32

Post by gaintwist32 »

Keep up the good work.It looks like RGG must have really improved their plans a great deal in the past few years.
my65pan

Post by my65pan »

gaintwist32 wrote:Keep up the good work.It looks like RGG must have really improved their plans a great deal in the past few years.
Thanks, it has been a lot of fun so far.
RG-G plans are still not that great, lots of mistakes are present. I've taken some liberties on a few of the cosmetics also.
my65pan

Post by my65pan »

Here are a couple of more photos of my progress. I need some silver soldering done before I can continue with the bolts, oscillator, etc. Is there anyone in the Phoenix area that could help me out? I don't want to foul up all of my work with a crummy solder job, which is exactly what would happen if I were to attemp it.
Attachments
Oscillator components.
Oscillator components.
Yoke assembly.
Yoke assembly.
Bolt carrier.
Bolt carrier.
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

Absolutely Gorgeous Work.

Having come so far and done so well, why not give the silver soldering venture a try?

On scrap parts to practice of course. It isn't brain surgery. It is a fairly straight forward process. Can be accomplished with either OA or even a MAPP torch. The higher the silver content of the solder the higher the required temperature to achieve proper flow. Even I can do it, and I'm a retired splinter picking, nail pounding, carpenter by trade. Like everything it just takes a will to do and lots of practice.:wink:

Please keep the updates and pics coming
my65pan

Post by my65pan »

pacrat wrote:Absolutely Gorgeous Work.

Having come so far and done so well, why not give the silver soldering venture a try?

On scrap parts to practice of course. It isn't brain surgery. It is a fairly straight forward process. Can be accomplished with either OA or even a MAPP torch. The higher the silver content of the solder the higher the required temperature to achieve proper flow. Even I can do it, and I'm a retired splinter picking, nail pounding, carpenter by trade. Like everything it just takes a will to do and lots of practice.:wink:

Please keep the updates and pics coming
Oh, I can solder the parts together OK mechanically, and I may do the bolts myself as they are internal, but the brass breech casing, magazine base, oscillator, and rear sight I really want done by someone with more experience than me as they need nice clean joints.

Some more pics I pulled from my photobucket account of the breech plate, bolt extractor, and cocking mechanism before I changed the bolt extractor knob to a lever and polished everything up.

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I'm more than impressed with the Parkerizing you've done. Did a search and read about the product.

Did you do anything to prepare the part(s) for the process? Bead blast, or some such?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
my65pan

Post by my65pan »

Harold_V wrote:I'm more than impressed with the Parkerizing you've done. Did a search and read about the product.

Did you do anything to prepare the part(s) for the process? Bead blast, or some such?

Harold
Yes, I blasted the parts with 70 grit aluminum oxide, rinsed them in acetone, and then into the tank. As soon as they come out of the tank they get a rinse in hot water, and then I wipe them down with cosmoline.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

my65pan wrote:Yes, I blasted the parts with 70 grit aluminum oxide, rinsed them in acetone, and then into the tank. As soon as they come out of the tank they get a rinse in hot water, and then I wipe them down with cosmoline.
Thanks. I wondered about the nice, uniform finish. I'm very strong on the use of the blast cabinet, using both aluminum oxide and glass bead.

One thing has been on my mind from the outset. What caliber is the gun intended to be? The limited view of cartridges leads me to think it's not a 22.

Harold

edit: I took another look at the posted picture, opening in a larger format. Yeah, now it does look like 22 long rifle.
How does one go about procuring barrels for the gun?
my65pan

Post by my65pan »

Harold_V wrote:
my65pan wrote:Yes, I blasted the parts with 70 grit aluminum oxide, rinsed them in acetone, and then into the tank. As soon as they come out of the tank they get a rinse in hot water, and then I wipe them down with cosmoline.
Thanks. I wondered about the nice, uniform finish. I'm very strong on the use of the blast cabinet, using both aluminum oxide and glass bead.

One thing has been on my mind from the outset. What caliber is the gun intended to be? The limited view of cartridges leads me to think it's not a 22.

Harold

edit: I took another look at the posted picture, opening in a larger format. Yeah, now it does look like 22 long rifle.
How does one go about procuring barrels for the gun?
Harold,
It will be chambered in .22lr. Some folks are using 10-22 barrels and turning them down etc. The plans call for 1/2" DOM tubing with a 3/32" wall with barrel liners silver soldered in place, turned, threaded, chambered, crowned, the extractor slot cut, and the last couple of inches at the muzzle milled into a hex for barrel removal/installation. This is the route I plan to take.
Mark
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

Silver soldering the liners to the tubes seems like gross overkill, not to say gross overheating. Is that really necessary?