rebarreling an action

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

heisler0

rebarreling an action

Post by heisler0 »

Is there any books or videos that are good for a novice to read on the detailed process of rebarreling an action? While i am not a gunsmith i am comfortable with machining and would like to rebarrel my 98 mauser. As always any help would be greatly appreciated!
hammermill

Re: rebarreling an action

Post by hammermill »

for this one youtube may well be your friend. look also at books by holmes,ackerly or dunlap

also you can rent videos on the subject from smart flicks. depending on the action you will also need a barrel wrench,action vice,reamer( can be rented) and go/no go gauges ( again can be rented)

some manfacturers also sell barrels already threaded but short chambered shaw is one
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

http://mausercentral.com/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=24839

Clemson is a working gunsmith and IIRC an instructor at a gunsmithing school. And well respected member of many gun forums. This is the link to threading a mauser barrel he did. It is located in the Archives of Mauser Central. He has many more tutorials there.
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

Thank You! It doesnt appear to be anything to difficult but i'm sure there is alot of little steps along the way that will make a big difference if not known. Like lapping lugs or squaring up the bolt face. The one part I have yet to see is when the barrel is thighten on to the action how much force is used?
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

the mauser barrels tighten against the front of the action with that shoulder being moved if necessary to move the chamber back. oomp snug is good enough

be carefull of much lug lapping on these actions, most are case hardened and its kind of thin.
unioncreek

Post by unioncreek »

I'm with pacrat on this one. Mausercentral.com is a good site and there's quite a few guys there doing some good work.

Bob
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

rebarrel my 98 mauser
the mauser barrels tighten against the front of the action with that shoulder being moved if necessary to move the chamber back. oomp snug is good enough

Correct for the Small Ring pre 98 models. But for the 98's they have 2 barrel torque bearing surfaces. One is the front reciever ring and the other is called the "C" ring and is where the end of the threaded barrel stub contacts the reciever internally.

just for clarity.