FN action triggers?

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Harold_V

FN action triggers?

Post by Harold_V »

Hey guys,
I hired a young fellow to do a little tree trimming yesterday. He has a 308 rifle with an FN action that has a broken trigger. Said it happened when he tried to dismantle the rifle that suddenly released from the stock while he was applying a little tension. Anyway, he'd like to replace the trigger with another, exactly like the one he has. His comment was that it's an old action, made in the teens of the 20th century.

Can anyone suggest a source for triggers for such actions? He suggested that there's a wide variety, all for the same action.

I'm clueless.

Anyone?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Al_Messer

Re: FN action triggers?

Post by Al_Messer »

Harold, Tell him to try Numerich Arms Corp.

Al
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

FN action means it is a mauser. Probably a 1898.

Take a few pics of the broken part and the rifle and check with the fellas over at

http://mausercentral.com/forum/index.php

There is absolutely nothing they don't know about mausers.

If it looks like this, there is a bunch on Gun Broker all the time.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx

Parts are readilly available and pretty cheap for things like triggers if original military parts.

If it is an aftermarket trigger Mauser Central is best bet for info.

Hope this has been helpfull
Attachments
mauser 98 trigger.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, pacrat. I'll see this fellow early next week and will convey the message.
The trigger he showed me looks considerably different---he claims it is adjustable through a wide range of trigger pull pressures, and is housed in what I recall to be a more square box type of assembly. Still, the tips you provided should prove very useful to him.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Al_Messer wrote:Harold, Tell him to try Numerich Arms Corp.

Al
Thanks, Al.

Harold
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

Harold_V wrote:Thanks, pacrat. I'll see this fellow early next week and will convey the message.
The trigger he showed me looks considerably different---he claims it is adjustable through a wide range of trigger pull pressures, and is housed in what I recall to be a more square box type of assembly. Still, the tips you provided should prove very useful to him.

Harold

OK Harold, undoubtedly what he has is an aftermarket trigger. Like or similar to this pic of a Timney. Probably installed during or after the 1960's. The only adjustable triggers available in the teens of the last century were of single and double set variety. Can you get a pic of the broken unit? If so I can likely ID it for you. Also does the broken unit incorporate a side safety or does the rifle still utilize the original shroud safety at rear of bolt? Many makers of self contained adjustable units such as Canjar are no longer around.
Attachments
timney sportsman.jpg
timney sportsman.jpg (45.51 KiB) Viewed 7734 times
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, again, pacrat. If he has his rifle with him, I'll take a picture. He'll appreciate the help.
One thing of interest----he's of the opinion that the trigger was original, but being adjustable, it's most likely a retrofit, as you suggested. Smaller than the picture, at least as I recall. More square, in fact.

Harold
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

Pics needed for a positive ID. Right and left views of action showing all markings. View straight down of front action ring showing any crest if there. R&L side of the trigger unit itself.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Understood!
I'll do my best!

Harold
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Made by FN? Does that mean that it is a Browning? If it is, he ought to have no trouble in finding a replacement trigger assembly on line. Has he been able to furnish you with any photos yet??

Al
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

He was supposed to show up at my place today, but failed to do so. Still waiting for him as I type. Most likely won't be before Wednesday, now, as I'm not going to be here tomorrow.

Harold
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

Made by FN? Does that mean that it is a Browning?
Possible but highly unlikely. Fabrique Nationale did Contract/Licensing work with JMB for certain arms. Model 35 Hi-Pwr, Auto 5 shotgun, etc. but not all FNs are Browning. Like not all Brownings are FNs.

OBTW Harold, Reciever of this rifle may be dated from the teens of the twentieth century. But you might inform your young friend that the .308 Win. cartridge wasn't introduced until 1952. It may be one of the factory FN sporters made in Belgium but odds are by a wide margin that he likely has a Mil-surp sporter that was done long after the teens of the twentieth century.