My last project

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Al_Messer

My last project

Post by Al_Messer »

I don't want to hijack Alphawolfs thread, so here is my last project. Needs to be Blued to totally be complete. Receiver was made from a scrap of HR, roughed down to size and shape on the Shaper. The hole for the barrel shank was drilled, bored, and threaded in the lathe, mounted on an angle plate on the 10 inch faceplate---.750" x 14 TPI as the barrel was salvaged from a .310 Martini Cadet rifle, complete with sights. The hammer I bought from Dixie Gun Works, but the Trigger Guard is the result of a lot of boring on the Lathe and lots and lots of filing. The Tangs were milled on the lathe attached to an angle plate. mounted on the Compound with a flycutter running between centers. Buttstock came from a chunk of Black Walnut that originally grew behind my Grandfather's barn about 50 years ago. It uses .310 Lead Balls patched with .004 un-bleached Muslin cloth, greased with Bore Butter backed by 22 grains of ffg powder.
Attachments
IMG_0165.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
alphawolf45

Re: My last project

Post by alphawolf45 »

Looks like fun Al..A real threat to squirrels.. Used a chunk of your grandpas tree..Thats great..
Takes a long time to get it all done dont it? ..Is the forearm original to the barrel?..You dont have a vertical mill?...
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

nice looking project now to bag a few tree rats?
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

The forearm came from a scrap from a friend's barn that was a leftover from one of his projects, Yes, it took several months to do it and "YES" it ought to be great on Squirrels (or Wild Turkeys, if it was legal).

No, I don't have a mill of any kind. Sometimes, I wish I had one, but most of the time I don't need one with my Shaper.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

part of the key to having fun is getting it done with the tools you got to work with.
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

hammermill wrote:part of the key to having fun is getting it done with the tools you got to work with.
I rather see a guy have all the usual machines but I give extra points to fellows who build squirrel guns without using a vertical mill..That would be very tough.. You done real good Al..