first machine (lathe or mill)?

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

kletzenklueffer

first machine (lathe or mill)?

Post by kletzenklueffer »

When you first started, which machine did you use most between a lathe and a mill?

I'm coming close to buying my first machine for home. I plan to eventually build rifles, but right now it's about getting some experience under my belt. (one class left in tech school for CNC diploma is extent of my experience). I know I'll use a lathe for much of precision rifle work (truing action, threading barrel, chambering, etc), but there is also some millwork required. There are also some specific projects I want to do that will require a mill. So in other words, I need both, but have the funds for one, with the other to follow next year.

I'm curious what ya'll would buy first and why.
Metalshaper

Re: first machine (late or mill)?

Post by Metalshaper »

K,

Being an hobby machinist and builder of Black powder things :wink: take this for what it's worth!!

I think you'd wanna go for a lathe first. if you plan on any barrel work,in the near future, you'll need one. AND with some careful planning and some accessories, you can do a certain amount of milling work with the lathe.

Hope this Helps?

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

I Second what Metalshaper said: get the lathe first.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

There are a lot of machines and smaller tools that you will need...Lathe, mill, surface grinder, band saws, big air compressor two or three welders , heat treat furnace ,sand blast cabinet.....consequently I suggest you buy the first good deal you come across, whatever it is and then buy every machine after that which you can swing....Dont figure on doing your dream jobs for a few years till you have it all gathered.....I buy every machine that is cheap and close to the house..Been serious about it since 1996 but still theres machines and tools I want but don't have......My first machine was a lathe and was a booger to manhandle...Second machine was a forklift. :lol:
Bobby Bailey

Post by Bobby Bailey »

You've already got some good advice. If you are going to specialize in barrel work, then the lathe is the way to go but, if another direction then there other things to consider. When I started in 78 I bought a good drill press first followed closely by a small lathe. Later I added a mill. Now to tell the truth, I use the mill more often. It is the one that would be the hardest to do without.
Bobby
drgrenthum

Post by drgrenthum »

I am new to machining in fact only ordered my first machines and have not received them. However i do love guns..... I would suspect that a lathe would be your best bet. You could make a nice chunk of change off the guys i know simply threading barrels and rechambering AR 15 barrells for different calibers. I believe all you need is a lathe for these two operations though someone more knowledgealbe will surely chime in.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bobby Bailey wrote:Now to tell the truth, I use the mill more often. It is the one that would be the hardest to do without.
In general, that holds true in industry, too. I found that about 80% of my machine time was on the mill when I ran my commercial shop, doing small lot production as well as building tooling.
Naturally, there will be exceptions, depending on the tasks one encounters.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

in a comerical shop i would agree in the mill getting more use.

for gun building i use the lathe a whole lot more that said being a hobbiest at home i started off build my shop for the jobs i needed to do.
to a basic lathe i built a grinder,a mill cutter attachment for doing bolts actions,( its a milling head that sits on the apron/toolpost) a index wheel for the lathe spindel (used a datsun b210 flywheel) its 120 tooth and allows me to index all 360 degrees
a broaching attachment for cutting key ways in sprockets and a ball cutter.

if you were going to build a 45 auto from a cast frame it would be easier on a mill but i have seen it done on a lathe, thinking back i saw it done with a dremel, files, and hacksaw blades.

in many ways the brits are really resource full at getting every ounce of use
from what tooling they have, the value added tax is a killer.

the main thing is pick a project, start rounding up the tooling,make the necessary mistakes learn ,learn and learn some more.

buy books and read up on peoples aproaches to solving opertunitys

i know that if you ask me,metalshaper,alphawolf and haroldv to do something we may all go in differient directions and get to the same place.

i learned fast to bee nice to the neighbor with a forklift untill i could afford one. thats alphawolfs fault :D
metalmole

Post by metalmole »

As someone said if you are looking to do rifle work a lathe would serve you better first, but there are times when you will be needing a good mill. Also as someone stated I think I have a nice shop with lots of the stuff that makes me happy and $$, and next thing ya know here comes a deal on something ya had in the back of your mind, like a good surface grinder for only $250 :D and yea it had the chuck on it !! .................so you will be collecting stuff all along.............Good luck
Clark

Re: first machine (lathe or mill)?

Post by Clark »

I keep reading that gunsmiths use a lathe 10X as much as a mill, but for me it is the other way around.

I use the lathe every couple weeks, and use the mill every couple days.

Machines in the shop getting turned on:
1) grinder
2) mill
3) lathe
4) drill press
5) table saw
6) band saw
7) jointer
8) metal shaper
9) TIG welder
10) generator