Show a rifle I built from scratch

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

JackF

Re: Show a rifle I built from scratch

Post by JackF »

Alpha,

If you haven't seen this site yet some of these guys are making engines completely from scratch.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com ... board=18.0

Jack.
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

JackF wrote:Alpha,

If you haven't seen this site yet some of these guys are making engines completely from scratch.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com ... board=18.0

Jack.
Yes thanks Jack. I been a member there a long time..Lots of very talented fellows over there and I used to read most everything written there...But those guys build little scale models, or did you read of somebody building fullsized working engines from scratch somewhere on that forum?.I havent been there in a long time...Gets irritating after a while to see talented guys with shops full of machinery building small scale projects...

I have now removed the question from my signature line...I dont believe that there is a forum anywhere that has guys building full sized working engines from barstock and their own castings..There are a very few guys out there doing it but they arent all gathered up in one forum..
JackF

Post by JackF »

Sorry Alpha,

I didn't catch you wanted full sized. :oops:

Jack.
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

JackF wrote:Sorry Alpha,

I didn't catch you wanted full sized. :oops:

Jack.
No problem.......See ultimately, assuming I live long enough, my recurring dream is-- I want to build a working replica of a 1915-ish Harley Davidson motorcycle..Want to build engine , transmission, frame, tanks ,wheels and everything else....I believe that I could do it and do a good job of it while I was at it but it would be easier to keep the interest going if I seen somebody else doing a project that was similarly time consuming..Thus far my longest project was two years of daily effort..I would wild guess such a motorcycle build might require 5 years effort from a single individual working alone..Not likely I'll ever do any more than just think about that one.
oscer

Post by oscer »

alphawolf45 wrote:I like your attitude..You sound like a man with a great deal of patience. I hope you have a lot of good years ahead of you...Get yourself a surface grinder with a decent magnetic chuck while youre gathering tools, you'll need it for making chambering reamers , counterbores and dozens of other uses including actually grinding the surface of flat parts.. I use mine almost daily...Its where I go for precision , will often machine close and then grind to final size...And grab a heat treat furnace if you get the chance- or build one..
I am rebuilding a wreck of a rifle. Its decendent of one of JMB designs..Its a Model 65 Winchester lever action rifle in .218 BEE.Was built in 1938..I traded for it 30 years ago in poor condition with fore end wood and magazine missing...I am finally getting around to working on it...It will retain its original buttstock with some original dings and there will remain some scars in the barrel and receiver.I tig welded up 12 tapped scope mount holes in the barrel ..And I relined the barrel..I'll have to make a spring loading gate for it as the one I bought from Numrich is a poor fit...Pretty satisfying to be putting the old gun back in good shape after 30 years I just had it knocking around in one closet after another....Lot of fun playing in my own home workshop.

Thanks for the encouragement Alpha, a surface grinder and heat treating oven are definately on my list plus a small propane forge. I'm also thinking a small shaper would be worthwhile, but top priority is tooling up the mill, dro, powerfeed,ect.
As far as patience goes, not so much, but I knew this kinda thing was going to take years of preparation. Kinda a retiremant goal, something to look forward to as I plug away at work. To see someone acually doing it is a big incentive to follow through, plus it's good to know there are others out there with no life outside of family and shop. Did you know that there are people out there who spend their time watching TV? :roll: :D

oscer
"...that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights,that among these are life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness." Thomas Jefferson
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." Ben Franklin
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

oscer wrote:[

Thanks for the encouragement Alpha, a surface grinder and heat treating oven are definately on my list plus a small propane forge. I'm also thinking a small shaper would be worthwhile, but top priority is tooling up the mill, dro, powerfeed,ect.
As far as patience goes, not so much, but I knew this kinda thing was going to take years of preparation. Kinda a retiremant goal, something to look forward to as I plug away at work. To see someone acually doing it is a big incentive to follow through, plus it's good to know there are others out there with no life outside of family and shop. Did you know that there are people out there who spend their time watching TV? :roll: :D

oscer
Oscer
Yes I watch the tv too....Pitiful excuse for entertainment ain'it?
I wouldnt spend much for a shaper. I had one for 3-4 years and never did use it.Finally sold it........ Propane forge would be real good to have..I use a home made propane fueled foundry to melt aluminum and brass for casting and will also use it for the occasional forge work...And it heats my tray of water that I rust blue my parts in...

Best 'tool' I have given myself in last ten years is that I learned to use a CAD program.....Can take pictures off the internet and import into Autocad and then scale and trace and otherwise rapidly work up a drawing that I can even convert to programs to operate the cnc milling machine..I been working up some drawings so I can eventually build myself a Winchester model 1876...Used parts are near impossible to come by and nobody has drawings but I can probably get it done if I will put in the hours...Very satisfying hobby...but seriously, the CAD has helped me out immensely, glad I finally learned to use it..
oscer

Post by oscer »

It sounds like CAD would be a big help even without cnc capabilities. I'm not very smooth on a computer but I probably should give it a try. My kids are getting tired of trying to teach me theese things :| So would you have bothered to learn it If you weren't using a cnc mill?
"...that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights,that among these are life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness." Thomas Jefferson
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." Ben Franklin
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

oscer wrote:It sounds like CAD would be a big help even without cnc capabilities. So would you have bothered to learn it If you weren't using a cnc mill?
A most Excellent question oscer..I am certainly no authority on any of this , but I can tell you what works for me in my amateur efforts.The question made me think for a while..My answer is yes, I would have wanted to learn to use a computer drawing program even if I relied entirely on manual machines...I got along just fine before I learned Autocad .. I still fill notepads with sketchs and notes but now with the CAD program I can more easily create , modify ,save and organize my important drawings.....Some guys print their part drawings then glue the drawing to piece of metal and then mill to the lines..That works slick for lot of parts that dont require real tight tolerances..Cad is just another tool..I want all the tools I can acquire, dont you ? :D
oscer

Post by oscer »

Yep :)
ninjakid

Post by ninjakid »

hi im new here im just so interested with this thank u for the pictures like it cn u share more ... :)
“A man of courage never needs weapons like camillus knife, but he may need bail.”
Man Of Courage: ninjakid