Show a rifle I built from scratch

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Metalshaper

Re: Show a rifle I built from scratch

Post by Metalshaper »

Alpha,

SWEET!! 8) I will be interested in seeing your final product. I'm sure it will WOW as usual! I assume it will be case hardened, when your finished??

What is the run time on your CNC, when machining that frame??

Just curious as I started to 'Hack' out a Tinsley inspired box lock, using a manual X2 mini mill :roll: I deffinately wore myself out, crankin' handles and resetting/reclamping when I needed to alter the cuts :? Stopped when I got to the 'snail'.. I gotta practice a bit more with my baby rotary table! before I jump back in to finish that portion of the job!! :wink:

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

Jonathon
Yes I will color caseharden this one too...I guess it took about 1 hour to mill out the circumference of the receiver.Might have taken longer I wasnt paying much attention to the time.. I made lot of passes at .200 depth of cut with each pass.. I was using a carbide endmill that I sharpened by eye on diamond wheel.. I tend to use endmills till they are too short to do any good. Save the new endmills for times they are necessary..Poor boy has poor ways.
I can imagine it would take a longtime to crank handles to cutout thick receiver with a minimill but youre not in any hurry are you? ... I want these projects to take a reasonably longtime to complete else I would have to spend free time in front of the television set..yeuckk...
Here I show my useing rotary table to round off the front end prior to threading. You might notice I had run a cut around where the snail will be while it was on the cnc..I'll finish that portion with manual mill and files and my grinders...
Attachments
100_0528.jpg
Metalshaper

Post by Metalshaper »

Alpha,

No, I've got time "God willing!" :P

just gets to be a drag, having to do all those re-sets and the "cranking" < forever cranking on those handles!!!! :roll: > I had a rather small piece of stock to start my frame with. so I'm also gonna try an interrupted thread, where the breech plug/extension fits back into the frame? make it so I can actually take the gun apart and change barrels/calibers if I want.. Adds to the difficulty, because its a percussion gun.. but hey, that's what gets the juices flowing!!! :lol:

Distracted right now, trying to get back to and finish my CW Jenk's carbine build. bought a blank from Rice barrels and now have LOTS of work to get it reamed, rifled, and profiled!!!

Keep the pics and any updates coming. I learn a lot from your postings!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

Metalshaper wrote:
Distracted right now, trying to get back to and finish my CW Jenk's carbine build. bought a blank from Rice barrels and now have LOTS of work to get it reamed, rifled, and profiled!!!

Keep the pics and any updates coming. I learn a lot from your postings!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
Metalshaper, whats the deal with the Rice barrel ?. You have to ream it and cut the rifling in it or didja mean something else? ............ Hey, where you get your long wood ? I been buying walnut from sellers on ebay but havent hooked anything suitable for full length stock on a bp gun.
But too I rather not carve a full length stock is part of reason why I am building this Allen Boxlock..

Ohhh I watched the clock and seen today that I spent 16 minutes roughing out this .750 thick lower tang using the cnc mill....Looks pretty awful dont it? But it'll eventually be a purty gun if I do my part....
Attachments
100_0542.jpg
100_0542.jpg (146.04 KiB) Viewed 7931 times
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

I dont want to start another thread for my boat engine project, just think I'll show occasional picture in this thread.
I cast and machined the aluminum head which come out mighty good considering I am not really experienced with making and using sand cores.
Attachments
100_0425.jpg
100_0425.jpg (118.13 KiB) Viewed 7929 times
100_0516.jpg
100_0516.jpg (157.05 KiB) Viewed 7929 times
100_0529.jpg
100_0529.jpg (143.47 KiB) Viewed 7929 times
100_0536.jpg
100_0536.jpg (99.66 KiB) Viewed 7929 times
Metalshaper

Post by Metalshaper »

alphawolf45 wrote: Metalshaper, whats the deal with the Rice barrel ?. You have to ream it and cut the rifling in it or didja mean something else? ............ Hey, where you get your long wood ? I been buying walnut from sellers on ebay but havent hooked anything suitable for full length stock on a bp gun.
But too I rather not carve a full length stock is part of reason why I am building this Allen Boxlock..

Ohhh I watched the clock and seen today that I spent 16 minutes roughing out this .750 thick lower tang using the cnc mill....Looks pretty awful dont it? But it'll eventually be a purty gun if I do my part....
Alpha,

Rice makes all the standard bore diameters! a true Jenk's carbine measures .525 - .528 at the lands and .533-.536 in the grooves. they use a .535-.54 ball and is a breech loaded, Mule ear percussion.

I had Jason at Rice make me a smooth bore .50 X 1.21" diameter X 44" long blank. I'll ream it the needed + 25/1000ths to get the land-land diameter and then My bud Marlow and I will use the "Junkyard sine bar rifler" and put the grooves in :wink: Oh, since the Jenk's has a weird-ish barrel profile, we'll have to turn that as well!!!

as far as wood goes, we came into some Walnut a few years back and have planks sitting around that are as thin as 2.5" and as thick as 4"+. these planks are about 24" wide and nearly 7' long!!! also some Pecan and a lil ash as well. So I don't think wood is a problem :roll:

I'd definitely have to do some piece work, to create the tang and such. 16 minutes is nothing, compared to how long it would've taken me to make the same part..crankin' the handles :lol:

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

Metalshaper, you are extremely fortunate to have a friend to share your home workshop adventures with...Other than wife and pets, I have nobody around here to share personal adventures with..I used to grab the Jehovahs Witnesses when they would come round I entertained 'em in the shop where I could show off some my projects but even they stopped coming over..And all my good friends have died off....Tough to find reason to finish a gun build since I dont hunt, dont shoot targets , dont collect guns and dont even have friends in the hobby........which explains why I am getting away from messing with the gun projects and trying to get going with building gas engine projects..planning to build boat and motor and go play on the river......
I had to look up the Jenks civil war breechloading carbine as I was not familiar with it...You have an original to copy or find drawings somewhere or ? ...Certainly I wouldnt worry over getting correct bore and grooves dimensions unless I first also had all other details absolutely authentic....
There were so many different weapons used in the civil war that you could spend a lifetime doing research and building some of those guns and accessories..Interesting stuff.. I want to see your pictures.
Metalshaper

Post by Metalshaper »

alphawolf45 wrote:Metalshaper, you are extremely fortunate to have a friend to share your home workshop adventures with...Other than wife and pets, I have nobody around here to share personal adventures with..>>>>> Snipped<<<<

I had to look up the Jenks civil war breechloading carbine as I was not familiar with it...You have an original to copy or find drawings somewhere or ? ...Certainly I wouldnt worry over getting correct bore and grooves dimensions unless I first also had all other details absolutely authentic....

Alpha,

Sometimes it's a benefit... other times :?: :lol: Marlow and I tend to Butt heads on some things, naturally. There are certain skill sets he has ( as well as a Mongo shop ) that I can't get close to matching... and there are certain things I know how to do or a way to improvise that he hadn't thought of :wink: he comes from a more traditionally trained background and mine is mainly self taught.. mostly it works itself out.

The Jenk's is something I discovered in a book, back when I was 16-17, while cruising through the HS library. Something about it just clicked with me. That and Billinghurst's Revolver rifles!!! now 30+ years later and with some experience and Skills learned?
I'm working towards making them for Myself! I've been fortunate having friends and mentors, from various forums, assist me. Some have come to me in a totally unsolicited manner. Two gentlemen have approached me by e-mail when they saw I was trying to make a Jenk's. BOTH of them own originals! one a carbine and another a smooth bore. Both of these guys went out of their ways to provide me with MANY photos and measurements. these have been invaluable, coupled with some drawing I found, that had been done just at the close of that war period.

As far as my Wife and son are concerned.. mainly they just look at me and smile, when I come up from the shop all excited about something.. or when I show them my latest build! " that's nice dear!" says the wife.. "Cool Dad, but where do the cartridges go?" asks my son :roll:

As far as no one to share with?? Awe come on... I'm always lurking about here or on the other forums! and I certainly appreciate your efforts, skill and experiences building your projects. and Like I've said before, I sure learn a BUNCH, hangin out here or on other 'builder' forums!!! while it would be sad if you stopped gun building, I'd be just as excited to see your motor builds and your How-to's that would come from them!! another fascination for me is the old one lung, Hit & Miss engines!!!

Gonna go now
Respect Always
Jonathan
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

what to say alpha i always look foreward to your builds and photos and sometimes even verbaly sparing with you.
the engine project is just as interesting as the gun one. but share as we are all richer for it.
Metalshaper

Post by Metalshaper »

Alpha,

one other thing I forgot to clarify. Marlow is a HS Shop teacher and also teaches night /summer classes at a JR college for Drivers ed ( which he also does at his school in the summer) He's also an assistant wrestling coach for both Jr and Sr high. He lives in a small town about 45-50 minutes away( by highway ) from my house, ... so with his busy schedule and the bit of distance.. We rarely get together in the same shop!! I've been there once this year!! and probably average only about 5 visits in a year?? we usually jam everything we can into a 4-5 hr night after work?? or the rare weekend 7-9 hrs.. I mostly talk to him on e-mails or occasional phone calls..

So really, I've talked more with you and Hammermill ( Hi Ken ! :lol: ) just recently, than I have with Marlow.. So your not so "on your own" :wink:

Respect Always
Jonathan
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

I frequent these groups to see what you guys are building.. I do have friends living in my area but I seldom get out and drive that far..and none of my friends are building guns of any sort.....But go online and there arent a whole lot of persons building antique guns- just a few build antique cartridge rifles and then more guys build the blackpowder guns... I just like the old guns myself..
Anyway,anyway... Here is where I am at with this project.. I have it roughed in pretty good now.....Should end up looking like the real one in the second picture ....
Attachments
100_0548.jpg
AllenBoxLockActionw262.jpg
AllenBoxLockActionw262.jpg (6.34 KiB) Viewed 8105 times
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Good looking start. Please keep us posted with your progress!

Al
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"