Liguid front sight inset kit

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

JC Blauvelt

Liguid front sight inset kit

Post by JC Blauvelt »

I am trying to find a source for these. Brownells dose not have them any more . They say the company went out of business. This must be true as I tried calling the company in AZ. I have plenty of the liquid part but am just about out of the powder. Any one know of a source of the kits or what the powder part is made of?
GeorgeGaskill

I don't know what they were using for pigment ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

or what colors they had but I have lots of ground pigment in colors like green, yellow, browns, and reds (they are not flourescent), and you're welcome to some for postage. I have pound boxes which is far more than you will ever use.
Don_in_Ohio

Re: I don't know what they were using for pigment ...

Post by Don_in_Ohio »

I haven't done one of those for years, but always used a couple of drops of Acra-glas epoxy and some dry, water based, paint (tempura) powder from the hobby/craft store. Cheap, any color you might want, and never had one come out afterwards.

Don in Ohio
JC Blauvelt

Re: Pigment

Post by JC Blauvelt »

Pigments were a fine floresent powder. Came in orange, yellow, red, green, and white. Liguid was some type of solvent that smelled similar to acetone or laquer thinner. The powder part was a white powder. You places a few drops of the solvent in a cap. Desolved some of the colored powder in it and add the white powder till it thickened. Forms were put on the side of the dovetail and the thickened liquid poured in. It hardened in 10 min. I have plenty of the components except the white powder. I may have to try the 5 minute epoxy and pigment mix. Thanks for the help.
GeorgeGaskill

I am guessing the white powder was ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

finely ground styrene plastic that dissolved in the laquer thinner (maybe methyl ethyl ketone as that is a great styrene solvent) and resolidified as the solvent evaporated.
jcbgunsmith

Styreen maybe.

Post by jcbgunsmith »

I do not think that it is styreen. It sets up harder than styreen and hardens quickly. Quicker than the evaporation rate of the solvent. I will try it and see what happens. Styreen with out the air pumped into it may be hard and not like styrafoam.
GeorgeGaskill

The styrene I am referring to is a relatively ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

hard sheet material available in model railroad hobby shops for building models (not at all like the expanded polystyrene used for ice chests and other insulation.) However, it will harden by evaporation of the solvent, not by a catalytic reaction like an epoxy, so they may be different materials. Try a plastics place and see what they say.
jcbgunsmith

Found it !!!

Post by jcbgunsmith »

Kings Gun Works has the kits. Hal's Gunsmithing put me on to it from a post on the AGI BB. Thank you all for your help.