making an end mill

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Ronniet

making an end mill

Post by Ronniet »

I need to make an end mill.
Will probably use in my lathe.
To be used to turn out a primer pocket. Berdan primed.
I have an idea to make an endmill from a piece of drill rod or HSS that will center cut on the end but nothing on the sides. The mill will be less than 1/4" od have not measured the pocket as yet, probably 7/32" there about.
That way I can turn out the tit in the pocket and leave the sides intact.
Has anyone ever made such a mill? Any ideas?
If so do you have any pictures or procedures on how you did it?
I dont know if this is the proper place to post this but will post under milling machines also.
Thanks
Ron
Gunbuilder

Re: making an end mill

Post by Gunbuilder »

Ronniet,
I have been "playing" along those lines too on and off. I have come close with just a D reamer. Not real happy with the way it works, so I am still thinking on the best way to do it. I think the flash hole may need to be done first and use a pilot to keep the cutter centered, but it has been a while so I am not sure that was my best way.

Thanks,
Paul
TGriffin

Post by TGriffin »

If you are just trying to remove the primers, you can make a punch to fit in the neck of the cartridge with an offset pin to drive the primer out. If you are intending to replace the berdan primer with a boxer primer, the hole will need to be reduced in size, re-sized and drilled. The following is a link will show how it's done:

Berdan-to-Boxer-Conversion

Tom
Ronniet

Post by Ronniet »

Thanks Paul and Tom.
Excellent link to the primer conversion.
This same discussion is going on on the Milling Machine part of the forum under the same title.
I refer all interested in this subjet there.
I am going to use Tom's link there also.
Thanks
Ron
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Have a coupla stock mills sent to a sharpening outfit and reduce the side flutes to speck. See if that does it.

Im assuming primerless caseings.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.