Custom stock for 6.5 x 55 Swede

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

motrhead

Custom stock for 6.5 x 55 Swede

Post by motrhead »

I have a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser that has been in my family for years that was sporterized prob. 50 years ago by a great uncle and his best friend who did numerous guns. If someone gave them a gun they would build the twin for them. They shortened the barrel so it is not a mile long anymore and made the stock more like a regular hunting rifle. It was always super accurate but lately it is all over the place. The rifling is clean and not wore it is that the barrel jumps in the stock when you shoot it now. I tried banding the barrel to the stock hoping that would cure the problem but that didn't help, the band slides up when you shoot now. it used to have the wooden stock over the barrels originally and they removed it so it is more like a modern rifle. Do any of you have a line on a stock blank that I could drop my barrel and action in to regain my accuracy or a better idea?
it is a Carl Gustafs Stads...
pacrat

Re: Custom stock for 6.5 x 55 Swede

Post by pacrat »

motrhead,

It definitely sounds as if you have a bedding problem. Wood is not a stable medium. It swells, shrinks, warps, twists, etc. After 50 yr I imagine yours has changed the bedding surfaces due to stresses mentioned.

I would first suggest you get an Acra-Glass Gel kit from Brownells and epoxy bed the reciever to the stock. Sounds daunting, but is really not to complicated. Just follow the directions. Especially in relation to release agents. I use Johnsons Paste Furniture Wax.

You also didn't mention whether the rifle is scoped or not. Many times loose mounts or a scope that went wonky creates a problem such as yours.

JM2c
ab4td

Post by ab4td »

M1895 Small Ring Mauser stocks should fit the M38 and M94/M96 Swedish Mauser. They used to be commonly available but they seem
to be loosing support at various retailers.
I have used a couple of these on M38's. The only difference is inthe length of the Magazine. The Swedish action has a magazine
length of 3.24 where the M1893 and M1895 has a magazine length of 3.125. I haven't had to inlet the magazine well to fit the
Swedish Mauser.
I have used these stocks on Mexican 1910 models as well. This is a K98 action but a small ring.
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Check out some of the 1896 synthetic stocks sold by Brownells or Midway-USA. Actions just drop in like a greased pig and shoot like a house on fire.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
ab4td

Post by ab4td »

Midway also has a walnut montecarlo style inleted unfinished stock for $81 for M96 and M95 Mausers. This would also fit my old 1910 Mexican Mauser
motrhead

Post by motrhead »

Thanks for the reply's I found the walnut stock at midway and seem interested in it I am going to order one tomorrow should make for a very nice finished rifle.. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=117448
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Please let us know how you come out---with a photo if possible. TIA

Al
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Have fun inletting that "stepped" barrel channel.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
already-old

Post by already-old »

I have some of the swede top pieces. Also think I have some stocks left.

I had so many at one time I used them for fire wood and sold them by the pallet full.
"Oily to bed Oily to rise the life of a man, when a Machine tool he buys"

Some men always thought they wanted build things, what they discovered really, is that they only just wanted to run the machines!