Remington Model 4 (740) bolt problem

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

JackF

Remington Model 4 (740) bolt problem

Post by JackF »

I have owned and been using this model 4 for 30 or so years. My problem is for the last two or three years after the 1st shot the bolt will not fully chamber the 2nd round, I have to fully seat the bolt and round. I have removed the bolt and done a cleaning of the bolt and slide area without success. I'm guessing after 30+ years some springs are shot (not bad huh :lol: ). Have not taken the bolt apart as I am afraid I won't get back together right. Any suggestions on the problem and a exploded view of the bolt and a step by step description of the take down would be appreciated. No need to tell you guys that all I have done with guns is buy them, shoot them and clean them. :roll:

Jack.

P.S. besides being a tight wad I like to do things myself when I can.
Steve S

Re: Remington Model 4 (740) bolt problem

Post by Steve S »

When you cleaned the bolt , Did you seperate it from the bolt carrier ? Do you have access to one of those little ultrasonic cleaners or if your wife has two jewelery cleaners .....

Steve S
JackF

Post by JackF »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. By bolt carrier do you mean what I would call the receiver or slide area? If so, yes I removed it from the bolt carrier then cleaned it as best I could with gun cleaner and a tooth brush. I do have a ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, a small commercial unit that will hold the bolt. What should I use for a solution? Any help with the exploded view and step by step info?

Thanks,

Jack.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

PM sent.
barnes_gunworks

Post by barnes_gunworks »

if you having issues with the bolt returning, cleaning the bolt might help some, the main area that you need to clean is the gas system, you can take the bolt return spring and strech it or replace it. if you strech it rule of thumb is 1/3 again its length. also those remingtons are real bad about wearing out, if you have the magizine,trigger group out, look into the underside of the top of the reciver, if you see some ribbions on either side of the bolt track, and they look very big then the guns getting on to its last leg, this also affects accuracy. if you want you can send me some pictures and ill help as best i can. i would contact remington to get the exploded veiw. theres also 2 plungers that give tension to the bolt latch one is longer than the other, one is also more pointed. if ya get these mixxed up you can cause issed with the gun locking or not. i cant remember wich goes where, dont have my schematics or id tell ya, if ya need help email me. im out in the sticks most of the time and dont have access to high speed internet.
www.chaski.com
JackF

Post by JackF »

barnes,

Thanks for the reply. I got the barrel and the bolt and slide action off without any problem, cleaned the receiver, bolt and gas ports, and stretched the spring 1/2 inch. Reassembled everything and all seems to work fine manually but a trip to the range will tell if all is well. Hope to do that the 2nd good sunny day, the first is reserved to pruning some rhodies bordering the drive way. :roll: :lol: :lol: Will post the results after the range test. I will also look for the ribbons you mentioned and report my findings.

Jack.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Hi all,

Just returned from the firing range and the gun performed flawlessly. :D :D Thanks for the help.

Jack.