Chambering-headstock or steadyrest?

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

butchlambert1

Chambering-headstock or steadyrest?

Post by butchlambert1 »

Would like to know why you think your method is the best and how do you do it. I would like your ideas on all phases and why. If you do it in the headstock what is the 1st, 2nd, andnext step? Same with the people who do it in a steadyrest. Thebarrelman
kurt

Re: Chambering-headstock or steadyrest?

Post by kurt »

I chamber through the headstock because it’s the way I learned and it’s the easiest for me. Most of what I do now days is BR rim fires. Step one is to check out the action true if needed, and take measurements, slug the barrel, what I am feeling for is tight or loose spot’s, I want the muzzle end to finishes at a even or slight tight place in the barrel, and determine the pilot size, I use gage pins and have them in .0005 incensement both + and -. Cut about a inch off the chamber end and debur The next step is set it up in the lathe, spider on the outboard end, it helps if the adjustment screws of the spider line up with the chuck jaws I use a 4 jaw chuck. I did use a piece of #10 copper wire around the barrel were it sets in the chuck jaws, but now I make up a sleeve that fits over the barrel with a raised and rounded part like what Mickey Colman uses this is a pivot point. Next is to rough center it in the spider and chuck, then I use a indicator rod with the right size pilot and the 2 indicators one set up close to the barrel and the other at the end of the rod. When both indicators read zero, or as close to zero as I can, remove the rod and check the boar and groove for any inconsistencies. If every thing checks out I will face it and chamber it, then rough turn the shank to size and length recheck the run out finish the shank and cut the threads. On a Panda or Rem. I will cut the bolt recess or cone before the chambering. I check the run out at each step before any finish cut is made. Is it better than the other ways? I don’t think so. I’ve had good results, and pore, both ways.
butchlambert1

Post by butchlambert1 »

Kurt, I do it basically like you are doing except. My headstock is so wide I have a cathead on both ends. I copied collets from Mike Bryant to slip over the barrel for the bolts to ride on to protect the barrel. I use Deltronic pins that I have in .0001 increments. I roughly center both ends as you do. I then indicate the pin close to the tenon. I then indicate the same pin at the very end adjusting the cathead that is on the left hand end of the spindle. The reason that I do this, is barrels are not drilled straight and I am interested in the chamber being straight to the bore where the bullet enters it. I indicate and crown the same way. I first rough with a smaller drill and then bore the chamber so the reamer has a straight hole to follow and only a little to ream. I have removable pilots in .0002 for my reamers. I cut my tenon and thread. I then cut my chamber and clearance for my bolt nose. Bear in mind that I do this for myself only and not for a living. I have thread gages supplied by the manufacturer of the actions that I use. Since my actions are glued into the stock I need tools such as these gages and other tools to check headspace and boltnose clearance while the barrel is still in the headstock. You can't screw an action on the barrel with the stock on it. The barrel man
kurt

Post by kurt »

Butch, I just got a 6 jaw set true chuck, so will be trying that out when I get the time again, busy right now with other things. I got a idea for those short barrels, going to make a one piece spider, pipe, that will go in the steady and chuck, with 2 solts cut for the rear indicator, and a line of holes taped for def. length barrels. When I find time that is. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/tongue.gif"%20alt="[/img]
butchlambert1

Post by butchlambert1 »

I understand lack of time. Our next shooting match is next weekend and about every 2 weeks thereafter. I need to start installing my new Sargon on one of my mills. I have 2 stainless castings to machine for my 10/22 and the other for a 10/17 semi-auto. I'm working on a coolant setup for my surface grinder. Thebarrelman