What it took to get my FFL

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Gunparts

What it took to get my FFL

Post by Gunparts »

Ok First of I have a Washington State Biz tax # and my land is zoned right Both of which the ATF checked on. I reguested the Paperwork for a 01 gunsmithing FFL which took about 3 weeks to show up, I went and had the local police finger print me $10, and I sent in the forms to the atf with the $200 fee,it took about 5 weeks and a local ATF agent called to set up a time to look at my shop, and go over the rules which i signed a check list which they keep. It took 2.5 weeks after that for the FFL to showe up. all the ATF people where nice and Helpful, I think that sence I had a FFL before was very helpful.If you are trying to get a FFL write to them at us dept of justice tf&e at aft distribution center 1519 cabin branch drive landover,md 20785 good luck Brian G
blagg

Post by blagg »

Thats about how mine went recently, very smooth and ATF was very helpful! :D
12x36 enco lathe, G3616 Grizzly mill, 1220xl smithy 3-1, Delta 17 DP, Delta 14 vert. BS.
Lykle

from Europe, no guns here

Post by Lykle »

Just out of interest, what is an FFL?
Lykle
Designing for the fun of it.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

I believe it means Federal Firearms License.
corey796

Post by corey796 »

what did they want to see at your shop what did you need to have or not have
chuckinnc

Yep, I gave up and went with C&R

Post by chuckinnc »

As a individual I found out you cant get a FFL like you could before 911
era, I went with the class 3 c&r FFL. Its ok for used firearms if you mail order them from out of state but not if you buy within the state.
No bad its only $30 for 3 yrs, its the only option avalible unless you have
a full time business.
CB&Q

Read this somewhere......

Post by CB&Q »

There are now about 1/4 as many FFL holders as there were in the mid-1990s.

New apps have been turned down, especially before Bush was elected, renewals have been refused, etc.

I thought long and hard many times in the past about filing to get one, how much easier it would make transactions, and sometimes a bit more legal where gray area exists, requested the prelim package BATF had, read through it, and decided, wellll, "NOPE".

CB&Q
uziforme

Post by uziforme »

There are plenty of FFLs it's not hard to get at all. The only change is that now the ATF will not process your application if your business will not be in compliance with local laws. So if you live somewhere that will not let you run a home based business well take that up with your local not the ATF.

For those of you who think there are not many FFLs just poke your zip code in here and be surprised at how many live close to you and you were clueless.

http://fflgundealers.net/
uziforme

Post by uziforme »

So just for giggles since you are from NC and I just recently moved my daughter there to Cherry Point MCAS.

I picked Ashville, NC zip code 28801 and ran the zip code within 50 miles there are 200 federal firearms dealers of that zip. So it's not exactly hard to get a license.

Don't listen to those who talked to a guy at a gun show about how hard it is to get, listen to people that have done it instead.
chuckinnc

I did and there is one for my zip code

Post by chuckinnc »

My zip in NC is 28609, one listed for my zip code. Actually there are about
a dozen in near by zip codes but only one for 28609.
Toolroomtrustee

Re: What it took to get my FFL

Post by Toolroomtrustee »

If you are interested in older guns, especially military rifles and pistols, consider getting a Curios and Relics FFL.
That lets you receive firearms shipped across state lines. The firearms often come from places like Century Arms
and are at wholesale prices.
The C&R will also often get you dealer prices from places like Brownells and Lee Precision.
Typically you xerox your original and sign the copy then send that "oroginal signature on copy" to the company.

Getting a C&R does require member ship in a gun club that meets certain requirements as well as some other hoops to
jump through, contact your local BATF office for details.

I have been a "cruffler" for more than 12 years now.

Larry Murray
ENCO 9x20, Homier 7x12, Unimat, an Atlas and a South Bend7" shaper (neither working now)

www.chaski.com
Gunparts

Re: What it took to get my FFL

Post by Gunparts »

After about 1 Year with my FFl I am Glad I Went threw with it. I been sellling Gun Parts for 20 years and I had alot of receivers laying around. If I sold one before I used to payed $15 for a long gun transfer and $25 for a Pistol transfer. Your Right ATF looks into the Zoneing, A C&R is not any good for receivers transfers only if it is a complete C&R Gun.alot of Peaple get mad when I tell them that but it is the law. I had a FFL back in 1988-1990 and there was no C&R back then , now everybody has one and the C&R guns are threw the roof.I setup at Gunshows and I see these guys with there $250 Mosisin Nagants walking around with a stick in the barrel & a sign asking $250 or some crazing #.it funny.
Attachments
mountains.banner.www.txt2pic.com[1].jpeg