Remington 700

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

steamin10

Remington 700

Post by steamin10 »

I need some advice here. My Son bought a Reminton 700. 308 caliber. He has a nice high power scope on it for distance shooting.

Upon inspecting the rifle and chambering a coupla rounds to see if the ejection clears the scope and all that, he has found that the cases are DEEPLY scratched in two lines, from head to just short of the base.

He took the rifle to the dealer, and they said no problem. Kept it for a coupla days and returned the rifle , its all better now. It wasn't. Nearly all the new shells sent with the rifle had been used, scratched, dropped , dented, and been worked over with a scotch pad, leaving hand swirl marks around the brass. (the brass looks like hell). The rifle still made marks on the case, although a little ighter, very visible. ( scratched deep enough to catch-up your fingernail)

Another trip and this time a talk to the owner, they took the rifle in and he got it back a few days later.

He inspected the rifle at home, and is very upset. The action no longer leaves a mark on the chambered casings. But, the entire action looks like it has had a thousand rounds run through it, there are waves on the ramp and feed parts, as all the blueing is gone and ripples are in the worked surfaces from what appears to be a cratex stone that has been used on the ramp and action parts. It is clearly hand held wavy and looks terrible for a new rifle.

He is pissed that his expensive new rifle from a reputable manufacturer has led him to this road of displeasure. He feels this is very poor treatment from the dealer for his problem.

Does he get ahold of Remington to seek a solution? Continue with the dealer sidestepping the problem and further degrading the rifle?

He is very diappointed at he quality error and apparent botched job by the dealers in-house gunsmith.

What would your next move be? My understanding of the law is that he MUST give a third oppertunity for the dealer to fix the problem and make him whole. Then his situation should be actionable. He would rather avaid such conflicts, but is dissatified with the situation now.

Indiana law prevents the new and unfired rifle from simply being returned to the store. Once out the door, its yours. I feel that a warrenty exchange for another rifle is what is needed here, either from the dealer or from Remington. Quality problem, period.

On an emotional and personal level, He is uhm, Upset. He gave me his Eddystone 30-06, as with its shortened barrel, it willnot hold a tight group at 100 yards. It is now failing a head guage check, and has to be rebarreled. So I am the owner of a shot out sport rifle conversion, with a scope, to nail to the wall for a conversation piece. His choice of the good replacemnet gun was a Remington, just over that of an (overpriced) Savage arm. That choice has led to these situational regrets.

I am not a gunsmith, just a metal hack with some equipment, but I would really like to try and rebarrel the Eddystone, and bring it back to accuracy. I would like any information bout rebarreling work in reference material.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

another gun story question.

Post by steamin10 »

A little while ago the posession of a certain 10-22 ruger changed hands for a short while, and has returned. It will no longer shoot straight.

To make it s short story, this reliable and fun Ruger product was removed from its case, dumped into a trunk with other stuff and when returned, was missing the rear pop up sight. While the sight has been repaired, there is a noticable diference in the accuracy of the rifle as it constantly shoots left and low from aim point, varying as much as two inches at 50 yards. No amount of scope correction will sharpen the group. Even with iron sights at close range, the grouping is very much open and scatters as range increases.

Is this the result of a bent barrel whipping when fired? I can think of no other solution.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
HotGuns

Post by HotGuns »

Is this the result of a bent barrel whipping when fired? I can think of no other solution.
''

The first thing I would check is the 2 allen head screws that hold the barrel in place. Remove the action from the stock and you'll see the two screws I am talking about. Make sure that they are tight, if they are not, your bullets will be all over the place.
Bob
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Dave, I'd recommend you contact Remington directly. At least they USED to be very helpful to customers. I haven't dealt with them in some years, so who knows what goes now, but it's surely worth a try. It sounds very much like the dealer did a hack-job on the piece, just to get it out the door.

The 700 is a fine gun - I've owned several and have been very satisfied with them.
Pete in NJ
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Yes, it is, and he ponied up for a new one, rather than used or some other make. That makes the wound just that much deeper.
Gunbuilder

Re: Remington 700

Post by Gunbuilder »

steamin10 wrote: Does he get ahold of Remington to seek a solution?
I would go straight to the Remington web site. Contact them directly, enough with this dealer.
steamin10 wrote: Continue with the dealer sidestepping the problem and further degrading the rifle?
No! The dealer had two chances to fix the problem, if he was going to send it for warranty he would have done so first.
steamin10 wrote: What would your next move be? My understanding of the law is that he MUST give a third oppertunity for the dealer to fix the problem and make him whole.
Sounds like a lemon law, I don't think it applies to a factory warranty. Remington has not had an opportunity to repair your rifle. They would have had to have three Remington repairs for it to be a lemon.
steamin10 wrote: Indiana law prevents the new and unfired rifle from simply being returned to the store. Once out the door, its yours.
Your state law might apply to a return for refund, I don't think it applies to a warranty return for repair.
steamin10 wrote: I am not a gunsmith, just a metal hack with some equipment, but I would really like to try and rebarrel the Eddystone, and bring it back to accuracy.
Sure, you might even be able to set the barrel back a few turns and recut the chamber.

Thanks,
Paul
uziforme

Dealer

Post by uziforme »

I don't know why a dealer would dork with a new sold rifle that Remington would warranty. Now that the dealer has dorked it, I would not expect Remington to correct it. My suggestion would be to find a real gunsmith, get it custom barreled and just eat the loss and move on.
edge

Post by edge »

1) Go to the dealer and ask for a refund;

if that doesn't work,

2) Contact Remington. If this was an authorized Remington dealer then it is Remingtons problem;

3) You did not say how long ago the Remington was purchased, but hopefully it was not more than about 3 months and HOPEFULLY it was paid for with a credit card.

Assuming these two things are correct, then write to the credit card company and file a formal protest of the bill. You received defective goods!

edge.
TRX

Post by TRX »

Did you go ahead and rebarrel the Eddystone?
hockeysew

Post by hockeysew »

The dealer screwed the pooch all the way around.
1- With this being a brand new rifle the dealer should have had the customer contact Remington directly in regards to the problem.
2-The dealer voided the factory warranty when they let their "Gunsmith" (Term used loosely) attempt to "Polish" (Again, used loosely) the chamber.
Cratex tool used on the action and ramps?? WTF?? That is all hand lapping and stone polishing work.

Your course of action:
A-You might try Remington for help but don't be disappointed when they won't do it under warranty. Have them provide a WRITTEN estimate. This would be the means to the best repair.
B-Try to find out from Remington if this dealer is a factory service center and or factory direct dealer. If they are then have Remington hold the dealer accountable. The dealer OWES you a rifle.
C- Take the rifle to a QUALIFIED Gunsmith and have them asess the damage and provide a WRITTEN estimate for CORRECT repairs.
D- Take the estimate to the original dealer and have them pay for the repairs.
E- If they will not pay for it, you pay for it and take them to small claims court.

You are going to piss off the dealer anyway you go. But at this point who really cares? He is not the only dealer in the world and he has already demonstrated poor judgement/incompetence.
Do you really care if he see's any more of your/kids money?

Too bad. I feel for your son.
"I powder, with my brother ball-Hero like do conquer all"
Inscription on early Pennsylvania Flintlock
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

So Dave ,

How did your boy make out with the Remington ?

Also , if you set the shoulder back on the Eddystone and clean the chamber (reaming) , I would consider taking an inch off the muzzle and re-crowning it . As the barrels are shot out (I don't like using that term , but bare with me) the muzzle end of the bore can become "belled".
BUT , before you put all the time into that barrel or tomato stake , depending on it's condition . Have the barrel bore sited by a compenate gunsmith - look for "firecracking" of the lands . This is the bottom line when desiding if you want a new barrel or not .

Steve S
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Long story short, contact with Remington was something like too long a time transpired and you did use the authorized gunsmith, for evaluation and repair. My opinion , it stinks. Sonnyboy mounted a new scope and has an 1.5 inch group at 300 yds, and is happy it does not junk up the brass.

He also got a new mount on my Ruger stainless .223. The original Simmons 12x scope appears to be junk after about 40 rounds to bring it in. @ 225 yds we could hold all rounds on a 4x4 foot board. Another 6 power scope allowed us to bring the group down to 3 inches at 225 range. Being gas operated that is good enough because of barrel jump and moving parts when fired. Anybody need a $160 dollar Simmons scope?

The Eddystone is in the back closet waiting for snowy nights to tinker with, under midnite oil. I have to find the 'rountuit' with its name on it.

We have a ballooning Cayote problem in this area, making cats, small dogs, and spotted deer disappear. (Fawns) We intend to varmint in the open corn fields of winter. State law in Indiana prohibits deer taken with rifle, but makes no such distinction on varmint. Only directive I find are to caliber, sub .30 for varmint, in Mich above .025 caliber for deer in northern areas.