Milling machines

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

hghunter

Milling machines

Post by hghunter »

I am new to milling machines, though fairly familiar with lathe work.
How large of a mill does one require for such things as cutting dovetails in T/C Contender barrels, installing low-profile sights on model 1911's and similar work. My shop is quite small, and I don't have the space for an overly large machine.

Thanks,
Rob
Cpt Ordnance

Milling machine size

Post by Cpt Ordnance »

I'm ready for all sorts of flack for this answer, but here goes...
I hate the China trade as much as any other middle class American. With that said, I have a Grizzly, G0463 Mill / Drill. You can see it at www.Grizzly.com. They sell for around $1,000. I'm on a lower than average fixed retirement income, so the price alone would make it all I could afford after selling off a bunch of my good junk. However, mine was a gift from my engineer son.

As for the mill, my shop is in my basement, so a large "Bridgeport type" would be out of the question. At under 400 lbs., it was a struggle getting it down the stairs and up on a sturdy bench. After a little practice, I found it will do all I ask of it for the same type of work you talk about. There is no power feed, and that would be nice. Guys are inventing power drives for this kind of machine all the time. I'm going to make my own out of a VSR right angle drill. I also added a vert/ horozontal rotary table, also from Grizzly.
Cpt Ordnance
Cpt Ordnance
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

If you can find one, a Burke Millrite vertical mill could be the ticket. They
are about 3/4ths the size of a Bridgeport. They are out of production now
but were made up to the late 1970's or early 1980's The latter made ones
were made when Burke was owned by Houdale/Powermatic and are badged
accordingly.

Depending on where you are, they can be found usually around $1000 and
up (depending on condition, location, etc.). Once and awhile, they turn up
on eBay.

On the smaller scale, there are the Rockwell vertical mills. These are very
capable machines. They are about 1/2 the size of the Bridgeport. These
are one of the best in size for the basement shop (and bring more money
than the Millrite). Prices usuually run in the $1000 to $2000 range.

I should also mention the Clausing vertical mill. Smaller still than the first
two but still a real knee mill. It is about 1/3rd the size of the Bridgeport
and is very sought after. They can bring up to $2000 but usually go in
the $1250 to $1750 range.

The Rockwell comes with an R8 spindle and the Burke Millrite came with
many possible spindle tapers (earlier machines tend to have B&S #9
while later machines were usually R8 ). The Clausing could have either
B&S #7 or Morse Taper #2 (depending on the model).

I own a Millrite and can attest to its capabilities. I have used the Rockwell
and was quite impressed with its capabilities especially considering its
size. I know several people that own the Clausing and are satisfied with
them.

There are separate Yahoo groups that are dedicated to each of these
machines. You can Google search and find out more information on
them.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Cpt Ordnance and Rob--

I am in about the same position as both of you: All of my work is small; anitique firearms, models, and a bunch of other small stuff. I also have to get the mill through the 30" wide basement door (walkout though, no steps) across the finished part, and into the back part where my shop is located.

Altough, I am still THINKING, I am looking at the Grizzly G3103. (If you hit the link, it is at the bottom of the page.)

Tell me what you think.

--Bill
Rolland

mills

Post by Rolland »

I have the Grizzly 3103 mill with the DRO. I have found it to be an excellent mill for the money.
Gunbuilder

Post by Gunbuilder »

wlw-19958 said it all. I too have a Burke Millrite vertical mill, it is a good machine. Not as rigid as either of my horizontal mills but good enough for me, I would hate to have a mill drill and have to deal with less rigidity. The Burke Millrite is no Bridgeport, it is as small as I would care to use. Although I have never used a mill/drill I am glad I didn't waste my money on one. To me it would have been a waste. Your opinion will very, maybe you can do OK with a mill/drill.

But why take the chance?

Thanks,
Paul
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Rolland--

Thanks for the input regarding the G3103.

I don't really understand the DRO selection. Do you just pick one that comes close to the table size, or is there one specifically recommended for the G3103?

--Bill
Rolland

Post by Rolland »

You need to buy the DRO that fits the machine in size, if you contact the company that sells both the mill and DRO they can tell you which unit to purchase. With the Grizzly I used the smallest unit they had. The G3103 used the H6087 DRO
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Rolland--

Thank you.

--Bill
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Rob, Bill, and et al--you CAN do those jobs on the Lathe with a simple jig made to fit either the tool post of the compound rest, or with a Milling Attachment replacing the Compound Rest. Just don't get in a rush and puch things too fast. Tighten all the screws of the gibs snugly to help prevent back lash. But, if you can afford it, a small Micro Mark Milling Machine (it has a dovetail column) would do these light milling jobs.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Al--

Thank you very much for posting that url!

Shop SPACE is my big problem and I will solve it when I build a new house. I will retire this year, but my wife will not so I am not sure when the new house will be built.

In the meantime, I have been agonizing over what mill to buy to do my little things. The MICROLUX MILLING MACHINE is so small I can easily fit it into my current shop and then when I build a real shop (or semi-real, anyway), I can use it for those tiny tasks that I will always have and something larger for everything else.

I am really going to think about that machine. Again, thank you.

--Bill
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

I found the following very useful site which helped me quite a bit as I think about a small mill . . .

The Mill...Modeler's Best Friend

It compares the Sherline, Taig, and the Micro-Mark.

--Bill