Planer

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

UnkaJesse

Planer

Post by UnkaJesse »

I stuck this attachment on the Live Steam and Machine Shop boards, but I got to thinking about the gunsmith guys and am posting it here as well. See if you don't think it is cute as a bug's ear! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
GeneT

Re: Planer

Post by GeneT »

That it is. What can you tell us about it?
GsT
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Gene, At this time I can't tell you much more than the photo shows. It is in the Old Car Museum at Dixie Gun Works inside the"Gunsmith's Shop" log cabin. The thing seems to be a factory made hand planer, but might not be. I was unable to climb over the Dutch door which was locked, all of the owners were away at the "Shot Show" and my lock picks were in my mighty Dodge Cummins PU about 10 miles away. Next time I am there when the big wheels are around, I will get in there and look it over good to see if it has a name on it.

Meanwhile content yourself by looking at the foot powered lathe that is near the back of the building. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]

BTW: I don't know what that hay harpoon is doing in a gunsmith's shop unless the gunsmith was planning on making a whaling cannon that used the harpoon as a projectile. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

Hay harpoon is for people that try to climb over the dutch door, or to pick the lock to get in to get a better look at it...
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P