.22 magnum rims

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Tel

.22 magnum rims

Post by Tel »

While we are (more or less) on the subject - does anyone have any thoughts on 'ironing out' the rims of .22magnum cases. I figure these would be just about ideal for swaging .243 projectiles if I could just get rid of that danged bulge at the bottom
Tel
GeorgeGaskill

Make a draw punch/die and stretch them out?

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

Probably need to anneal before and after. Corbin in Oregon probably makes tooling to make 6mm bullets from .22 WMR cases; not cheap though.
Harold_V

Re: .22 magnum rims

Post by Harold_V »

Tel,
Years ago I gave considerable thought to making jacketed bullets. I spent a little time talking to Ackley about the idea of using spent .22 cartridges but he had an even better idea. He suggested drawing ¼" copper tubing to length. I went so far as to make a crude die, which I attached to a power pole on our street. I flattened the end of a coil of ¼" copper tubing so it would start in the die, then I hooked the end, which was now threaded through the die, to my truck, and drove off slowly. The result was a new diameter of tubing, proper for swaging full jacketed bullets.

Sadly, my work load at the time didn't permit any further exploration, and a series of events changed my direction so I never went back to the project.

Should you ever decide to try making bullets, keep this process in mind. An endless source of spent cartridges can be so limiting that making bullets by that method may not be in your best interest. All depends on the volumes desired, I guess.

Best regards,

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John

Post by John »

I did this with 22 long rifle over 20 years ago. First I made a die that would fit in the loading press bored to the O.D. of the 22 brass and tapering out to the diameter of the rim. In place of the shell holder I put a rod that was rounded on the end and small enough to go inside the 22 brass with a little clearence. Put a shell on the rod and push it through the die, end up with a round end insted of a rim. good start for a boatail. I had trouble forming the nose, had rinkles.
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

TEL. I think that Harold is on the right track!! Draw the tubing down to size, cut to length, anneal, and swage with a lead core.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
mike_thomas

Post by mike_thomas »

Corbins did, and may still make the dies etc. to do this. I however, would never suggest reverse engineering. Mike
GeneT

Post by GeneT »

Corbin publishes a number of great books on the subject of swaging, swaging dies, presses etc. Obviously the examples are all their stuff, but great books - may save you a fortune if you find out swaging is not for you.
GsT

Yes, this is the right URL
Tel

Post by Tel »

Yeah Al, I seem to recall doing something very similar not so long back [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Tel
Tel

Post by Tel »

thanks all, given me some food for thought any'ow. The reason I lighted on the .22 magnum cases is 'cos they just happen to mike up at .243" same as my Sierra projectiles. George C. Nonte jr had quite a bit of info in one of his books but I can't put my hands on it at the present - must be here somewhere unless somebody thought they needed it more than me.
Tel
Tel

Post by Tel »

.......... I was kinda figuring on making my own dies.
Tel
Ron_miksch

Post by Ron_miksch »

Some years ago, we purchased some .224 diam bullets from a gentleman in Montanna who made them using spent .22 long rifle cases for jackets. I don't beleive I have any left and can't remember the name. They were a hollow point, a little jagged around the open tip. Could even see the headstamp still in the base. Didn't shoot as well as Hornady softpoints in my .223, but were better in a buddies. I seem to remember a small punch press at a gun show about 10 years back that they were selling complete with tooling to do the job. I believe Joyce Hornady got into the business using the sleeves from capacitors after WWIi.
Good luck,
Ron
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I don't know how to reply to this without sounding the wrong way. Bullet jackets are available and are not that expensive. They are within .0003 in concentricity and this is very important in bullet making. If you are just blasting caps I guess that it doesn't matter. I've had great bullet jackets and a little knowledge and good carbide bullet dies and all I got was poor shooting bullets and a $1500 orthopedic bill to fix my shoulder and elbow from pumping the press. For my competition I buy good bullets from the reputable makers and buy from Sierra, Nosler, or Hornady for hunting. I also spend $100 worth of time to make a $5. tool that I can buy, so I understand the satisfaction of making your own bullets. Thebarrelman