Fifty Caliber Rifle Plans

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

mattking

Fifty Caliber Rifle Plans

Post by mattking »

Which ones have been well received? Has anyone here actually built a fifty cal?

I've got room to shoot one now, so I want to get to it! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Has anyone had any experience with the HyperDel product - it looks exceptionally well designed and they should have a semi-auto version available this year.

Thanks,

Matt King
King Plantation
Hamilton, GA
John

Re: Fifty Caliber Rifle Plans

Post by John »

It has been a few years. I was working with a gunsmith by the name of Wes Stebins in Rathdrum Idaho. He was building single shot .50s and I was doing machine work for him at the time. He started out with a mold that he had mad and was using castings for the action. We had a lot of trouble getting the actions strait so he went to solid 4140 shaft and machined the whole thing. The action was 13" long and 2 1/4" diameter, bolt was 1 5/16" diameter with 4 locking lugs 1" X 5/16. Finnished gun was 45# with a 45" barrel. He also made bullets out of brassrod that weighed 615 grain, he shot them at 3400 fps. One gun he made had an action that was 3" diameter and the 60" barrel was the same diameter. It weighed 165# and had no recoil, like shooting a 22. He closed shop because of a divorce about 15 years ago.
GUNMETALDESIGNS

Post by GUNMETALDESIGNS »

I designed both of the gunmetal plans ( long action and short action), so I am clerly biased, but would be glad to answer any questions that you might have

regards

Joe Rich
GeneT

Post by GeneT »

Welcome aboard Joe! I hope you'll continue posting here. I just read your article in 'Very High Power'. (Yeah, I'm *wayyyyyyyyyy* behind in my reading..., actually I was looking for an article that appeared in that same issue.)
GsT
medicmike

Post by medicmike »

Joe,
I have a copy of your plans and hope to get going on the rifle soon! Good to know you are here.
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

Joe,
Now ask him if he has an original copy or a copy of the ones you sold. I did copy my plans, but have never allowed them to venture far from my sight. Realizing you make your money from the sale of the blueprints, and usually give the follow up information at no cost, it would seem to his best interest to make sure his plans are the ones from you and not from somebody's copy machine.
I only copied mine so I wouldn't mess up the originals when dragging them around the shop.
One day I need to get with you about the plan changes on the firing pin.
Thanks, David from Jax
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P
medicmike

Post by medicmike »

They are an original set with the production notes purchased from a freind of mine that decided that it was too much project for him to tackle. I didn't copy themm, figured would build one rifle and if the plans got dirty then so be it. Am shopping for a barrel, the BMG barrels are getting pricey enough that I may be better to go with a custom unit.
John

Post by John »

The military barrels have stelite liners for the first few inches which doesn't help when you are trying to get good groups.
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

Hamilton Ga is only 325 miles from here. Used to run up to La Grange all the time when I was an over the road truck driver. But then, I didn't have time for home shop stuff. Now that i have some time, I don't get out anywhere like I used to.
Good luck with your project, it will be fun I am sure. David from Jax
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P