plugging a barrel for bluing ....

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Butch

What is "Vapor Hone"

Post by Butch »

Never heard of that.
gunner312

Re: plugging a barrel for bluing ....

Post by gunner312 »

What you plan to do is properly called "Rust Bluing" or "Belgian Bluing" For a proper methodology to accomplish this, take a look at John Traister's book, "Professional Care and Finishing of Gun Metal". THis was the book we used in class as a reference in Gunsmithing School. (Rogue Community College, Class of 87) In it it tells the proper methods to use to prepare the metal for bluing and each step of the way. The method was originally developed to use on shotgun barrels with soft-soldered ribs because of the tendency of the Hot Tank method to un-solder the barrels. It does give a pretty finish and is very durable. My (almost) only problem with it is that it takes so darn long to do. Personally I'd rather just put it in the tank and have it done in 15 minutes. un-soldering is seldom a problem with modern barrels because of the solder used to put the barrels together isn't a lead-based solder. In any case, it is not necessary to plug the bore in any method of bluing that I am familiar with and with some it is darn right dangerous to do so.
Just clean the bor at each step.
epanzella

Post by epanzella »

I use only rust bluing. Plug the ends with dowels, coat the barrel with solution, let rust for 2 hours, boil in distilled water, card off. Repeat as necessary. I always do it 4 times but the 4th time is usually unnecessary as it gets fully dark after 3. I just like insurance. Change the water after every boiling. Rust bluing is awesome as any surface that was capable of rusting is already rusted so the gun is virtually impervious to water. PS; I never had a plug pop out as you only bring the barrel up to 212 degrees.
Ed P
SAVE A COW, EAT A DEER
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

epanzella, I may get in touch with you if you don't mind. I am re-learning to rust blue for a friend who has an old Marlin and doesn't want it "DuLited" ie commercial black.

gunner312, if you are still around, I'd like to thank you on recommending the John Traister's book, "Professional Care and Finishing of Gun Metal". I found a copy on amazon. It was published after I graduated from the Colo. School of Trades so I did not know it existed. Really great reference book and better than Angier's "Firearm Blueing and Browning".

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
epanzella

Post by epanzella »

earlgo wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:56 pm epanzella, I may get in touch with you if you don't mind. I am re-learning to rust blue for a friend who has an old Marlin and doesn't want it "DuLited" ie commercial black.

gunner312, if you are still around, I'd like to thank you on recommending the John Traister's book, "Professional Care and Finishing of Gun Metal". I found a copy on amazon. It was published after I graduated from the Colo. School of Trades so I did not know it existed. Really great reference book and better than Angier's "Firearm Blueing and Browning".

--earlgo
Sure, no problem.
Ed P
Ed P
SAVE A COW, EAT A DEER
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

epanzella, I sent a PM to you.
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
epanzella

Post by epanzella »

earlgo - I didn't get any PM from you
Ed P
SAVE A COW, EAT A DEER
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

epanzella I checked and there is none to you in my "sent" box. Cyberia must have gotten it. I'll try to send it again.
--earlgo
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

epanzella, I wrote another PM, hit the submit button and it disappeared again into Cyberspace. It did not show up in my sent box. I chose your handle from the search list to be sure it was correct. I am at a loss now, as to what to do.
--earlgo
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Interesting comment on the PM's. I'll notify management with the hopes that there's a simple fix.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
dorin

Post by dorin »

One very quick question.
It seems the new software requires hitting send twice.
(Perhaps the old software did too..and I never paid any attention)

See my screen shot. Unless I hit submit again...the message is gone.
(The screen shot shows after I hit the first submit)
-Mike
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 5.15.56 PM.png
www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I just sent two private messages, each with just a single hit of the send button. Both show in my outbox. (They're to you, Mike). It will be interesting to see what's causing the variable methods required to send PM's.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.