Looking for suggestions...

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

jkilroy

Looking for suggestions...

Post by jkilroy »

My number one hunting buddy and overall hero, otherwise known as my father, is going to retire end of January 2004. I want to give him a nice rifle as a gift for the occasion. I am by no means a expert gunsmith and will have the touchy stuff farmed out, like fitting the barrel. What I am looking for is suggestions. The cartridge will be 25.06 Rem. so I need a good action and I would like one that will use a removeable box magazine, any suggestions? Sig Sauer actions don't grow on trees.
GeneT

Re: Looking for suggestions...

Post by GeneT »

I don't know how much you want to spend, but
Nesika Bay makes some really beautiful actions and can do a Rem 700 compatible action, which lends itself to the detachable mag conversion. (I haven't seen mags for 25-06, but I haven't looked...)
GsT
GeorgeGaskill

Try this as a starting point--

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

It would require a new barrel but that's no big deal. You might even be able to have the Custom Shop do the work and do other upgrades at the same time. http://www.remington.com/firearms/cente ... 0bdldm.htm

arickey

Post by arickey »

Personally, I don't think you can do any better than a pre-64 Winchester model 70, but the box magazine mod is going to cost you.
jonlearypalmerak

Post by jonlearypalmerak »

one way to go is buy a rem 700 DBM in 06 or 270 and have it rebarelled to 26-06 and restocked in some nice wood.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I'd use a Remington 700 with an H-S Precision detachable magazine. The cost for the magazine is about $185 from Brownell's, but its a good looking well made magazine and its cheap compared to some of the other replacement magazine trigger guards that they carry.
Mike Bryant

[url=http://www.bryantcustom.com]www.bryantcustom.com[/url]