gunparts

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

gunpartsearch

gunparts

Post by gunpartsearch »

always looking to buy sell or trade gunparts.if you need parts i may have it,see my web site or my auctions on auction arms.thanks brian g
i buy,sell,and trade gunparts i sell mostly on auction arms or of my web site.
Al_Messer

Re: gunparts

Post by Al_Messer »

Do you have a double set trigger mechanism for a '98 Mauser that I could afford?
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
gunpartsearch

Re: gunparts

Post by gunpartsearch »

al i sent you a email regarding the triggers.thanks brian g,
i buy,sell,and trade gunparts i sell mostly on auction arms or of my web site.
artk

Really want a double set trigger?

Post by artk »

Do you really want a double set trigger (two triggers with one being the coarse release and the second trigger being the light touch), or do you want a two stage trigger? I really thought that Tom Clancy blew it in "Rainbow Six" by having one of the snipers using double set triggers. With Jewel two stage triggers around, who needs double set?

-Art K
Al_Messer

Re: Really want a double set trigger?

Post by Al_Messer »

Only when they're building a "Jim Carmichel" style European Sporter, or a reproduction of a c.1920 Mauser factory custom job.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
butchlambert1

Post by butchlambert1 »

Al, I might have one. Could you send me a discription e-mail or post? It would be reasonable. Butch
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Well, Art, I've been thinking over what you said about double set triggers. First, a bit of background: I've been shooting since I quit wearing little boys' dresses and went into short pants. That would be somewheres around the age of two and a half to three. My Dad would prop the barrel of his ML over the railing of the front porch and taught me how to take aim and "touch off" the front set trigger. I am now approaching the tender age of 65. I have shot just about every type trigger you can imagine, even some that I made myself. Athough my personal preference for hunting is the Mauser style two stage trigger, as I feel that it is the safest designed, I would suppose that snipers, being the highly individualistic persons they are, that it must be with them as it was with Mrs. O'Leary when she kissed the cow: "Everyone to his own taste." So we shouldn't fault Mr. Clancey when one of his characters prefers a double-set model.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
artk

Clancy and artistic license?

Post by artk »

Okay, can you give me a current example of a sniper, military or police, who actually use a double set trigger? I can give you at least one citation from a book written by a guy who runs a U.S. sniper/counter-sniper training center and he says no to double set triggers. While I am not a trained sniper, I think that a double set which requires the trigger finger to change position during combat is not a good thing.

I still fault Clancy for his NPR listening, hand wringing over killing, poorly sketched characters. But then I only spent 6 years in the Infantry.

-Art K
Ralph_Monroe_Mi

Re: If You Don't Listen to NPR

Post by Ralph_Monroe_Mi »

How will you know what rights the liberals want to take from us next and which of their responsibilities they want us to pay for. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/tongue.gif"%20alt="[/img]
artk

Simple...

Post by artk »

I read the Oregonian, our local Portland newspaper that reports the national news as well as the local communist party propaganda...uh...I mean our city council's news! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]

-Art K
GeneT

Re: Clancy and artistic license?

Post by GeneT »

Art, I agree with your assessment of set triggers, but the Steyr SSG PII sniper rifle *is* available with either a military 2-stage or double set trigger, so someone must use them. (Austrians?)
GsT