sighting tools

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

SteveM

sighting tools

Post by SteveM »

BSA shooting range rifles are never sighted in well. I remember that there are tools that mount in the bore and have a scale to use to adjust the sights.

Can anyone make a recommendation for one of these tools?

Needs to be inexpensive, easy to use and rugged.

We don't need it to be perfect, just good enough that the scouts can get close. Scoring is done with a clear overlay that is moved to center the bull's eye over the holes, so they are looking for grouping.

It's just discouraging for a scout to be told that he gets no score because one shot is off the paper.

Steve
Dave_C

Re: sighting tools

Post by Dave_C »

Steve,

Try this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/636671 ... 0-12-gauge

It is a red laser so if you have iron sights, just put up a target at the distance you want to sight in at and line up the sights to the dot.

Fits any caliber! Less than $30.00! It does not account for bullet drop as it is a bore sighting tool. You will get the left/right alignment first time but may have to set your elevation to suit the gun.

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
SteveM

Re: sighting tools

Post by SteveM »

Dave_C wrote:It does not account for bullet drop as it is a bore sighting tool. You will get the left/right alignment first time but may have to set your elevation to suit the gun.
At 50 feet, we're not dealing with a lot of bullet drop, so that may be fine. Even then, if we know there's a quarter inch drop, they can just aim it that way.

Steve