Better looking SKS

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

ctwo

Re: Better looking SKS

Post by ctwo »

I use something like this from walmart. I missed what kind of memory card. My PC actually has a bay installed card reader too.

Iogear 56-in-1 USB Pocket Card Reader and Writer

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Iogear-56-in- ... r/10299067
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

OK guys, slow down a bit here. Best Buy got me a "Insignia' SD card reader that is plug and play for windows 7, 8, Vista, and XP. It is installed, so now I play with the card and try to remember how to manage the movements.

It was only $9 with taxes. so I dont know where their rep got the other fugure, or just guessing. Had to match up the card type. So many toys and cables and 'stuff' in that store, its almost scary. Any way thanks for the good tip, so I move off dead center again.

Stay tuned.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

OK, I have about 12 hours invested in getting this to work. I now have the pics in the puter, but am going through Irfanview to do some of the work. Teh windows program is giving me fits (My old brain probably). So with resizing and picking out the posting, it is become a chore, without the help of the browse function, that does not work Like I remember. So as I work with this thing, I will probably get better, so have patience and I will get this series finished and move on.; Thanks for the help.
Attachments
Final assembly
Final assembly
Yep, that is a bent file, for the key. <br />Buy good files.
Yep, that is a bent file, for the key.
Buy good files.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

OK, so the master edit is in. I have posted the best pics that give a visual on the work described, and the clearest shots.
One final view is coming, when I have the bottom feeding clip installed, as the 10 round must be removed.
dolfa

Post by dolfa »

Hi Big Dave,
I have a Russian SKS and if I wanted to use a removable magazine, I would have to cut off the front of the trigger guard, make a new trigger catch, weld a piece of a bar under the receiver to hold the magazine and alter the bolt. Too much work. Also here in Canada, the magazine has to be pinned to five rounds only.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Dave, looking sharp!

dolfa, WHAT!?! they let you have detachable mags in Canada?
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
dolfa

Post by dolfa »

Yes,ctwo
Chinese SKS-D comes with a detachable magazine and we in Canada can own it. But the mag must be pinned to five rounds only.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Apologies for not catching up here.

This may be one of the classic differences for American Gunkies to observe. Currently the limits on mag capacity, and assault rifles ten year limits have expired. Other 'hunting' limits, such as shotguns being limited to three rounds for waterfowl and other rules afield, like no electronic devices, (cell phone?) are still in place. It varies from state to state, and one has to stay abreast of the rules by year.

As for the SKS. The trigger group is removed by pushing a button, and dropping the sub assembly out, and removing the tin box ten round clip is removed. Reinstalling the trigger group, and compressing that spring to snap it in, sometimes with a dead blow hammer, allows changeable clips to snap in. I have a 30 round steel clip, but 20, 30, 40, and even a 50 round drum clips are marketed in steel and plastic. The plastic clips are rugged, and resist damage well. (Substitute magazine for the word clip if you want).

Any further discussion of the rules and horizons of community gun control would get blatantly political, and contentious. So I will not open such a debate on whether it is better to have belt fed or standard clips for multiple rounds.

Installing a scope, on the rather ugly SKS altered the loading ability, so removable clips are the answer. That is the mission of this thread, of that modification as stated in the first posting. Better shooting with a scope.

The lower loading door, on the SKS can be used with the scope, but I consider the arrangement of flipping a gun upside down in the field and stuffing loose rounds into the built in box, a rather dodgy operation. So that is the reason for the other mods to continue. With the Picatiny mount, I have options for mounting a mini flashlight for night shooting, and even a laser for dark target location. For my intruder and predator situation it adds more dimensions to work with should the need arise. So it is the idea of outfitting a firearm for the task at hand , rather than a childish copy of some Military drama.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

El Problemo: I took the SKS out of the foam filled cheapy gun case to show the progress to a friend. The flashlight is dead. Being laid down separate in the case, I can only imagine that closing the case, and compressing the foam, pushed the very small 'on' button, and ran it down. So I have to get some button cells, and put them in, and see whats what...Having stuff that doesnt work when needed is not part of the p;an.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

The lights I use have a sort of crenelation around the button on the end. I've seen these referred to a "tactical lights", perhaps because the crenelations around button and lens make it a potential weapon when held in the fist? Or perhaps just be trigger the "tacticool" reflex so popular these days. Anyway, I've got several setting in foam lined gun cases and have not experienced that problem (yet?).
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper