Gatling Gun

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

solek

Gatling Gun

Post by solek »

I made hit miss engine, from caastings for years, but ran out of kits, I wanted to build, so trying a gatling gun.
Update of how it is going:
The carrier block, for the bolts has .420" holes, whick required buying odd size tooling. If you go to 27/64", only .002" bigger you could use normal tooling.
The carrier block needs square bottom holes for bolts to fit. I used a ground down 27/64" counter sink, to cut bottom square.
The cam drawing is a little tricky, and when using 4 axis mill, we cut a mirror image, so need to make another.
Got DOM tubing for barrels, but talking to some gun people, found out a lot of people buy 10-22 rifles, and change out barrels & etc. Found three, see in picture, and have 8 more coming.
If you have any questions, ask me.
solek
Attachments
gatling.jpg
1911ly

Re: Gatling Gun

Post by 1911ly »

That's a neat project. I am looking forward to updates!
rbertalotto

Post by rbertalotto »

UPDATES?

I want to build one of these also...
solek

Post by solek »

Gun has been on hold, do to lack of cam. Have a friend with CNC mill, That is going to cut it, for me. He made one that was a mirror image, and has not got back, to cut one right.
Need the cam, so I can start putting the parts together, to see if I have made them right.
solek
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

solek wrote:Gun has been on hold, do to lack of cam. Have a friend with CNC mill, That is going to cut it, for me. He made one that was a mirror image, and has not got back, to cut one right.
Need the cam, so I can start putting the parts together, to see if I have made them right.
solek
My knowledge of Gatling guns is very basic. I am assumeing that when you are talking about the cam that is the device which both cocks and releases the firing pin. Could you rotate the handle and barrels in the opposite direction to function the firearm with the mirrored can?
solek

Post by solek »

Due to the way, the spent brass is remove,and other areas, of the gun it will only fire, in one direction.
Solek
Patio

Post by Patio »

This will be an interesting thread! I will be watching. :)
If I remember right, I thought Pamela had built a Gatling gun in her past. I could be wrong though.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Rolland

Post by Rolland »

I made my cam on the lathe and then cut it out and soldered the two halves together. Since I did not have a cnc mill just a manual one at the time. The cam has to be exact or things really hang up. It only took me a year and a half. Making parts in a mirror image I thought was the correct way :roll: Barrels were dom tubing drilled for an insert from Brownell's
100_0871.jpg
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Beautiful work!

I'd love to make one of those but I'm pretty sure I don't have the tools or the funds. :roll:

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
solek

Post by solek »

At long last, the cam is cut. Added the end plate, and cut slot, for bolt removing.
solek
Attachments
gatlimga.jpg
rbertalotto

Post by rbertalotto »

Update?
solek

Post by solek »

Hit another rock! You have 10 barrels/bolts, that you have to set head space on. To get it right you have to get the barrel to bolt set +/- about .0005". I have the go/no-go gauges, but get my skills, to the point, to cut the bolts/barrels, right, is lacking! The rest of the parts, work well!
Gun looks good, but it is not a shooter, yet. Someday?
Solek