Elesco pump drawings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Andypullen

Elesco pump drawings

Post by Andypullen »

Hi All,

Does anybody know where the Elesco drawings are located? I need the drawings for the feedwater pump.

Thank you!

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
amadlinger

Re: Elesco pump drawings

Post by amadlinger »

Hi Andy,

I, too, am looking for 1.5" scale Elesco pump drawings and/or castings, and unfortunately have yet to find any. All I've seen in the Live Steam hobby is the attached pump on the B&M 2-8-0 that Frank DeSantis built, now at PLS. Alas, Frank is no longer with us. A picture is shown below, and hopefully will trigger someone's memory out there!
Elesco_pump.jpg
Sincerely,
Adam
Howard Gorin

Post by Howard Gorin »

Adam, The pattern for the Elesco pump were made by Pat Allen. Some of Pats patterns went to Richard Thomas in California years ago. I do nor know if the Elesco pump patterns went to California or what happened to the patterns that went to California.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Adam,
Some of Frank's patterns and/or plans were donated to ALS. As the librarian, I know where they are but am not sure what exactly we have. Did you look through our library when you were here last?
Ben
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
locomotiveps4

Post by locomotiveps4 »

I have some of the drawings and information that Dick Thomas had, he couldn't find any patterns. I have been working on this pump for my Ps-4. I haven't made up my mind to build one pump by fabrication or to do lost wax patterns. I have no idea if there is enough interest in this pump to make patterns or formal drawings. This pump is a challenge in some areas to build. Steve
amadlinger

Post by amadlinger »

Steve- Certainly sounds like there are a few of us out there at least looking for the same thing. Prior to this discussion, I too was looking at just doing a fabrication job. But castings would be nice...

Does anyone know Richard Thomas? (Thanks for the lead, Howard!)

As a point of reference, I have the patterns for the Elesco feedwater heater end caps.

Ben- I looked through the archives briefly the last I was there, and a more thorough search is probably warranted. I presume this would all be together with what I saw last time since it was all for the B&M K8 engine.
locomotiveps4

Post by locomotiveps4 »

I new Dick Thomas very well; he passed on a few years ago. Steve
amadlinger

Post by amadlinger »

Silly me, it didn't click in my head that Richard Thomas = Dick Thomas. Sorry 'bout that!
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Thank you all for your help. I have a couple of leads and am pursuing them.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

I would be very interested if someone could post the drawings on here or pm me the drawings in a PDF file. I plan on building one in 3/4'' scale working or non working (with effort and time I am leaning towards the working option!) If not could someone tell me where a complete set of drawings are? I have yet to locate any leads as to where they might be.
3/4" scale LBSC Bantam Cock
3/4" scale B4 project (re-designed LBSC Juliet)
- Stuart T. Harrod -
LSGOD

Post by LSGOD »

I need an Elesco pump for a WP 2-8-2 I am building. I have drawn it up from measurements I have made of the WP 2-8-2 at the Rio Vista museum. I have been considering making the molds for it for lost wax. I don't know if I could sell enough of them to make it worth while.

LSGOD
Howard Gorin

Post by Howard Gorin »

Elesco used a steam cylinder head similar or identical to the steam cylinder head on a Westinghouse single cylinder air pump.
Later Elesco pumps may have used a different cylinder head.
There seem to be two different styles of Elesco pumps. Some have single check valves, others have double check valves.
The pump and the feedwater may have been made in different sizes. I am not sure about that. Can somebody provide more information?