Elesco pump drawings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bruce_Mowbray

Re: Elesco pump drawings

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

There are two sizes of "normally found" Elesco pumps. A CF-1 and a CF-2. The CF-1 has 8" steam pistons and 5 1/2" pump pistons. The CF-2 pump has 9 1/2" on the steam side and 6 1/2" on the water side. The big difference is in the piston control. The later CF-1 has independantly operated pistons. By this, it is like 2 pumps hooked together in one casting with each pump side working independantly. On the CF-2, the steam valve operation of one pump is controlled by the other. This way, there is only one set of reversing valves to maintain.
Yes, there are a few parts of the control valve steam side cylinder head that are interchangeable with the Westing house 9 1/2" air compressor. They both use the same piston reversing valving mechanism built into the steam cylinder head.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

which one would be harder to build a working model of? Also if you ask nicely Andy Pullen can probably provide you with CF-1 Outline drawings! :D The quality is really good!
Furthermore can anyone who lives near a locomotive with an Elesco pump get some close up detail pictures of it? Id be very interested in those pictures!
Thanks!
3/4" scale LBSC Bantam Cock
3/4" scale B4 project (re-designed LBSC Juliet)
- Stuart T. Harrod -
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Stuie wrote:which one would be harder to build a working model of? Also if you ask nicely Andy Pullen can probably provide you with CF-1 Outline drawings! :D The quality is really good!
Furthermore can anyone who lives near a locomotive with an Elesco pump get some close up detail pictures of it? Id be very interested in those pictures!
Thanks!
I can't take the credit for the drawing....Bruce Mowbray provided that.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

I am off until next Wednesday so I'll take some pics when I return to work.
Bruce Mowbray
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Thanks Bruce! Out of curiosity which locomotive are you going to take pictures of?
- Stuart T. Harrod -
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

Do you have a particular one that you would like to see? I could take one of any loco we have on the grounds. Or even a few that may have an Elesco setup. I think there is a pump body in the basement too although I'm not sure of the lighting down there.
Bruce Mowbray
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Right now I am just going to have to say I am lacking an idea of where there is a location with multiple Elesco equipped locomotives!
- Stuart T. Harrod -
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Stuie wrote:Right now I am just going to have to say I am lacking an idea of where there is a location with multiple Elesco equipped locomotives!
Stuie,

You have the disadvantage of not having been on the board long enough to know everyone's regular gigs.

Bruce is professionaly a machinist for one of the largest collections of steam locomotives in the country in Scranton, PA; and that museum has a lot of Canadian locomotives. Both Canadian Pacific and Canadian National really loved the Elesco feedwater system. If I wanted to spend the time, I could figure out how may Elescos are on the property, but I think it is at least four (and it used to be a few more more, before 1987. Seems like a lot of the locos that left the property also had Elescos). I was the car foreman for the predecessor organization before it became a part of the National Park Service, back in the 1980's.

Regards,

Steve
Last edited by SZuiderveen on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Bruce also fires on the trips....I was supposed to meet up with him this past summer, but it didn't work out.

I worked for the now defunct Norfolk Southern Steam Program for a couple of years. That's why I suggested SR 4501 to you in another of your posts. I honestly don't know much about Southern Railway power. We were running N&W steam when I worked there.

Steve is part owner of Allen Models of Michigan.

Locomotive Cyclopedias are very good sources of information. I believe the 1930 edition was reprinted by Kalmbach. Newton Gregg reprinted portions of them as Train Shed Cyclopedias and you might be able to find those in a well stocked hobby shop. The original Cyclopedias are collectors items. You might find one or two in a large city library. I'll see what my 1930 edition has in it.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

I know that the
CP 2317, CN 3254 and CN 3377 all have Elesco's on them, I am not sure and can't remember if the Jubilee does or not, ..but I honestly can't think of any other engines at SNHS that have them, CP 2816 did but it is now in the CP steam program

Mike
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Highiron wrote:I know that the
CP 2317, CN 3254 and CN 3377 all have Elesco's on them, I am not sure and can't remember if the Jubilee does or not, ..but I honestly can't think of any other engines at SNHS that have them, CP 2816 did but it is now in the CP steam program

Mike
OK, Mike, now you made me do the research!

GTW 6039 has Elesco in addition to the others mentioned above. The Jubilee CPR 2929 does have Elesco (confimed by photo of pump, bundle does not show under casing).

Locos no longer at Steamtown with Elescos include CPR 1293, 1278, 1246 (converted to double injectors by Steamtown early on), and CNR 5288 (reputedly donating its Elesco to the SR 4501). 1293 has the vertical bundle heater, and 1278 (127) had a horizontal bundle modification added by Blount.

Steve
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Ok! That clears a lot up for me! Bruce: In the end it does not matter but if the option is presented I would like to get pictures of a CF-1 pump. Thanks! By the way is there any way I could do an internship program over at Steam town before I am 18?

SZuiderveen: Thanks for the clarification! I saw that little bit about the Elesco on the 4501 on RYPN. I thought it was just someone talking at first but I guess I was wrong! Are they going to sink it in halfway in the smoke box? If they do 4501 will really start to look like an Ms 4!
- Stuart T. Harrod -