Lubes for lathes?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Fred Martin

Lubes for lathes?

Post by Fred Martin »

I see that Enco has about 5 different way oils. Theres a couple of them that come in one gallon containers, I think # 2 and 4. Which one does the knowledgeable fellows use on their lathe ways?
I have two small lathes and a 14" Lodge & Shipley. Also a Cinci Toolmaster and a G & E 14" shaper and a 13" Harrison parts lathe Or is anybody using this lube at all? In the past I always used 20 or 30 wt. but, today the oils for autos/trucks have all kinds of additives in them and I'd rather use lubricating type oils.
I just know this isn't the first time this subject has come up but, I don't see how to check the archives yet. Thanks, ohfred
GlennW

Re: Lubes for lathes?

Post by GlennW »

#2 is probably the most common, unless the machine specs list something different.

I use Vaculine 1409, but is isn't common to find it in available in one gallon containers.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

Mobil Vactra #2 is probably the most common way oil recommended.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
Fred Martin

Post by Fred Martin »

Thanks fellows for the info, At my age/health, I don't know if I can wear out a 5 gallon can of way oil, I just want to get the shop going and let the younger guys take over. ohfred1941
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Mobil Vactra #2 way oil is sold in gallons.

Enco quite often has it on sale.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Vactra #2 on Enco sale catalog page.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMKA ... &PMCTLG=01

Pick up something else for a few bucks and take advantage of the free shipping code for $25.00 and over: NCCJUN
Glenn

revrnd

Post by revrnd »

Trying to clear up a lube question for a newby w/ the common 12 x 36 gearhead lathe sold by Grizzly, King & others.

The info I have from King is that I should run a ISO 32 grade oil in the headstock which agrees w/ what Grizzly says.

King says I should run Shell Telus 32 (ISO ?) in the apron while Grizzly says a ISO 68 oil.

King just says to use a light oil on the "bedway", while the Grizzly manual recommends the ISO 68. I was told by someone to use 20WT way oil (which I purchased).

Is the Telus 32 oil a ISO 32 viscosity oil? If yes, why would there be such a variation is the viscosities recommended?

Is the 20WT way oil, the same oil as the ISO 68 viscosity oil ?

Thanks

Sorry for what may seem to be stupid questions. Even though I've been around lathes & mills since '81, this lubrication stuff is greek to me. As long as we had a full "oiler" of way oil we were good to go for use after clean up. The maintenance dep't looked after the machines' lubricating needs, so we never concerned ourselves w/ the gearbox lubes.

We always shook our heads when a new guy came along & the tag on the m/c called for some European brand of oil, or an oil made by Shell, BP, et cetera overseas, but not sold here. The guy had no idea what to use. Usually an hour or so was wasted trying to find the "oil expert" for advice.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

The 32 and 68 are the viscosity rating of the oil at 40 degrees C.

That's why you can have ISO 68 oil in both a circulating oil (hydraulic) and a way oil. Both are different types of oil, but both ISO 68 viscosity.

Tellus is a circulating oil.

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/chart/lube.html
Glenn

warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

To compare viscosity......
Oil Viscosity.xls
(216 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
SAE 20wt would be ISO 46-68.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

OK, so as I read it I need,

ISO 32 hyd' oil for the headstock (in shop)

ISO 68 hyd' oil for the apron (need to get)

ISO 68 way oil for the ways (in shop labelled 20WT)

Thanks guys. Too bad that the machine tool vendors can't get their act together when they're specifying oil requirements.

Reminds me of the motor oil my Polaris Ranger uses, 2W-50 a grade nobody makes. You're captive to their oil.