Standard Modern or Sout Bend 10?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

wpala

Standard Modern or Sout Bend 10?

Post by wpala »

So here it is i have opportunity to buy South Band heavy 10 in decent condition or 12x30 Standard Modern in similar condition can anyone help me decide I kind of leaning towards Standard Modern since is gear head and and has roller bearings instead of bushings but a lot of guys swear by the SB 10 any insight would be appreciated
Paul.W
SteveM

Re: Standard Modern or Sout Bend 10?

Post by SteveM »

Don't know enough about the Standard Modern, but the heavy 10 is one heck of a lathe in a small package. I've been searching for one for a few years, but haven't found one nearby in my price range (I'm a cheapskate).

A potential advantage may be parts availability, as you can find used parts all over. Not sure about the Standard Modern (someone else will have to chime in on that),

You can read about the heavy 10 here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/page4.html

Steve
wsippola

Post by wsippola »

Perhaps I'm biased being Canadian, but I'd go with the Standard Modern. Much more modern design. Course I've never used either, so the advice is worth what you paid for it.

Both are built sufficiently stout. Given similar bed wear, both with pwr long and cross feeds, and similar threading capacity, I'll take the gear head and proper rolling element bearings. What's the chuck mounting system on both? I suspect the SM will be a Dx-x, while the SB will be threaded - if so, the threaded spindle is the clear loser.

Wayne
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

With roller bearings, the spindle speed on the Standard Modern is likely to be higher.

Steve
wpala

Post by wpala »

SM speed range is 50 to 1750rpm buy I could add VFD and control the speed yhat way then it might get even lower
Paul
Conrad_R_Hoffman

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

Much as I like good old iron, the SM is good new iron. I've used one at work some years ago. I'd probably go with the SM, but in equal condition they're both capable.
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

wpala wrote:SM speed range is 50 to 1750rpm buy I could add VFD and control the speed yhat way then it might get even lower
South bend is 50-1357.

Steve
Fred Martin

Post by Fred Martin »

The SB with it's type of headstock bearings will supposedly give a better finish than the roller bearing type. I remember when in business I was running small lot production on a heavy 10 and the customer when picking up the parts asked "How do you get such a nice finish"? My reply was "trade secret".
The flat belt should be skivved together instead of the alligator crimp ons with a pin holding it together. If this is not a worry to you, the SM will remove more metal in a given time and a VFD that is capable of a horse or two better than what's on the SM would make it the best worker. Just a 70 year old opinion....BTDT, ohfred1941
oldbrock

Post by oldbrock »

I taught in a high school with standard modern lathes and found them a very capable lathe. Ours all had telescopic taper attachments, a big improvement on the South Bend plain taper attachment. I own a model K Southbend and I like it and it does a lot of work for me but if I could have a SM I would certainly switch. Hardened bed, camlock spindle, seperate leadscrew and feedrod, geared headstock, leaver tailstock clamp. Just a more convienent lathe in my book. I've been machining for more years than most of you have lived so I have learned a little. AND IT'S NOT MADE IN CHINA!!!!!!!!!! Peter
Difficult done right away, impossible takes time.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

Both lathes have their advantages. I love old SBLs but
having said that, I think the SM will be a better machine.

Where the SBL shines is: it is a simple machine to learn and
use; parts are available and generally cheaper than SM parts;
similarly, accessories are easier to find and cheaper to acquire.

The SM has a more modern design and better spindle bearings
and (depending on the SBL), it will have a Flame Hardened bed
(some SBLs came with Flame Hardened beds but they weren't
common).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
Last edited by wlw-19958 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevec

Post by stevec »

Paul, I agree with Webb and suspect that the guys mentionned in your original post who swear by the SB 10 have never had their mitts on a SM.
linx

Post by linx »

Also standard Modern is still in bussiness. I have been to there plant in missisauga. They were helpfull to me when I was rebuilding my 9" utilathe.