Jack Sessum's 1" Scale Collection and Railroad

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DJSteamer3017

Jack Sessum's 1" Scale Collection and Railroad

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

The Late Jack Sessums, who died in 2004, was known for his miniature building skills in Films and TV shows. He was known, and in my opinion as a legend for having a massive stable of 1" Scale Locomotives and Rolling stock, plus a 1" Scale Railroad Empire at his home in Redlands, CA. From what I heard his railroad is gone, but his locomotives and rolling stock remain. But recently looking through Google, I found the address for Jack's company which is Sessum's Engineering, which evidently is also his home, and looking at Google maps, appears that the railroad still remains. I would like know whats the fate of his Equipment and Railroad?

In my defense Jack Sessums is one the Small Scale Greats, up there with people like Bruce Ward, Doug Alkire, and Ollie Johnston. All of which have had made a great contribution to hobby when it comes to Small Scales. Thier Legacies lives on an echoes in any form they may take.

Keep on Steamin My Friends,

David
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Pennsy fan

Re: Jack Sessum's 1" Scale Collection and Railroad

Post by Pennsy fan »

I believe the family is not selling. At least at this time. It's a memorial to jack for his family, is the way understand it. I'm sure others may have better info.

d.
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

Pennsy fan wrote:I believe the family is not selling. At least at this time. It's a memorial to jack for his family, is the way understand it. I'm sure others may have better info.

d.
Dave,

That's good and very fitting for Jack. Now that I think about it he also had a 15" Gauge Shay. But what really did it for him was the 1" Scale Locos and Rolling Stock. I've seen a video of his 2-8-2 and 2-8-8-2 and are both powerful little pullers, both are seen in videos of the 2001 Spring Meet and the 1995 IBLS Meet. Additionally Jack had or the family might still have that Immaculate 1" SP 4-10-2 5021 that I've seen in pictures on the LALS.org website. It would be also nice to see Jacks stuff make an appearance at the next Small Scale Meet at LALS next year. :-) Keep on Steamin my Friends!!

David
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Ever hear the story about how Jack fell in love with 15" gauge after a visit to railfaire in Sacramento?

Quite amusing to jump from 4.75" to 15", but I can understand as someone who attends and occasionally runs engines at the Reedley Railfest.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

Harlock wrote:Ever hear the story about how Jack fell in love with 15" gauge after a visit to railfaire in Sacramento?

Quite amusing to jump from 4.75" to 15", but I can understand as someone who attends and occasionally runs engines at the Reedley Railfest.
Mike,

Wow :-O That explains his jump 15". Hey he must have seen the Sonoma and it's beauty plus Jack was a great contributor to the construction of the Grand Scale Line at Joshua Tree and Southern. In fact a place on that line has been named "Jack's Gap" in his memory. But I agree that 4.75" to 15" is a real big jump. Keep on Steamin' my Friends!!

David
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

DJSteamer3017 wrote:....Additionally Jack had or the family might still have that Immaculate 1" SP 4-10-2 5021 that I've seen in pictures on the LALS.org website.
The only thing wrong with Jack's 5021, is that he didn't make it a working 3-cylinder. Mechanically, it's a 2-cylinder loco with the drivers quartered at 90-degrees.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
Curtis_F

Post by Curtis_F »

DJSteamer3017 wrote:But recently looking through Google, I found the address for Jack's company which is Sessum's Engineering, which evidently is also his home, and looking at Google maps, appears that the railroad still remains.
The 1" railroad was mostly pulled up years ago. There are a few sectoins of track and some buildings scattered around the property, but the ROW was pretty much obliterated when he put in his 3" scale 15" gauge track which is still on the ground.

Some pieces of 1" scale equipment were sold off after his passing, the 1" scale Daylight & train, but most were in a side room of his shop on racks. The equipment had tarps over them individually, and the dust on the tarps was very thick. Though the covers of the SP 4-10-2 and the SP 4-8-2 are the cleanest as Jack was kind enough to pull them out for me the last time I was there, shortly before he left us.

As far as I know (just past the end of my nose) the 3" scale 15" gauge equipment is kept in working order, and possibly run on ocassion, as Jack greatly enjoyed the equipment and the "Grand Scales" community. On a couple of ocassions he did admit in hind-sight that he should have gone with 5" scale 15" gauge as there's more tracks to those standards on the West Coast.

Also keep in mind that Jack was mostly a detail (in plastic) guy and many of his engines were built or started by other builders then he finished and dressed-them-to-the-nines. There are a few unsung heros who helped built up his roster.

Cheers,

Curtis F.
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

I visted a couple of the last 1" runs that were held on the upper sction of the railroad, courtesy of the Devlin brothers ("Iron Pony" + "Riding Railkits") who brought their SF F units. Also rode the 15" later in the day. It was amazing to see where, in places, the 15" had been graded right over existing 4-3/4" track! Jack just put down a few inches of ballast and laid the new track!
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

Curtis,

That's incredible!! If the family still has these locomotives, they should maybe think of bringing these locomotives down to LALS for the next Small Scale Meet in 2012. Locomotives like the 4-10-2, The 4-8-2, and his 2-8-8-2, should be brought to remember his legacy as a Great Small Scaler. There's a real nice pictures of the 4-10-2 next to Doug Alkire's President Pacific at the 1" Scale Roundhouse on Small Scale Line at LALS.

Kimball,

Wow!! Yeah I saw a picture of those SF F-Units at Jack's Railroad, well the good thing is at least the family still has the 15" Gauge Line still in tact. How much of the 4.75" Track is still left, I would like to know.

What will be real nice if these locomotives ever came back down to LALS, it would be cool to stage like a photo shoot with these locomotives around the yard. Just an idea. Keep on Steamin' my Friends!!

David
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Dan,

First, the Small Scales Meet is not expected to be in LA next year, but would return in 2013. It is expected to be in San Francisco in 2012. The folks in Canada are looking at holding it in 2014, and they are working on that right now. They were updating me at St. Croix this week.

Jack's stuff is still in the family. Nothing has been sold to my knowledge since his death. The Daylight engine is NOT sold, and the one purported to have been his and used in Tough Guys by Mr. Bell was another one from those who were close to him. The movie cars had already been sold by his passing to the same Mr. Bell. Most of those cars went to a guy in New York state. Jack made two observation bodies, as he didn't know which one the Daylight crew was bringing down with the train as there were two: the ex-Great Northern one with the raised rear light that has made most of the trips with 4449 and still does and an actual Daylight observation with a flush rear red light. The real Daylight one went with the set. The other one stayed in California, but moved up to northern California and will soon be returning to the rails.

Two of Jack's most notable locos that seem to get a lot of attention were his Western Pacific Mike and 2-8-8-2 "Big Womp." The Mike was built by Earl McKenzie in Sacramento. Earl also started the 2-8-8-2 as a semi-group project (another was being built in the club in 1 .5" scale) before dying and both were then sold to Jack.

Jack's track at one point reached 10,000 (ten-thousand) feet. My first visit wasn't until he had downsized to "only" 5,000 feet, and the 15" had just really started to take over. Every trip, the 15" got larger. But the 4 3/4" track was a blast to run on. It was all up-hill with a loop at the top then you ran down-hill back to the bays. He had two full roundhouses of equipment, plus a full carbarn or cars. That was all in addition to his movie prop cars kept in his warehouse onsite.

As previously stated, Jack got his love of 15" from Railfair '91. He was setup as a display booth right next to the short 15" track. You can see the results.

Jack was one of the nicest guys in the hobby. I loved going down there and spending the weekend and sleeping in his car. I loved reading his movie effects books while sitting on the couch. I loved the advice on different methods of detailing. Every weekend was like going to a live steam meet, but without any politics. Man, I miss him. Rest in peace, my friend.
Matt Mason
dwilloughby

Post by dwilloughby »

I recall when Jack built the 4-10-2. This was his first detailed locomotive after the 0-4-0 that grew into a 2-8-0. It started life as a Little Engines T-71 with a tender and over the years grew into 2-4-0 and then a 2-8-0. Jack went through 4 or 5 different sets of drivers for the 4-10-2. His first attempt was the drivers from Little Engines 3/4" scale Hudson/Northern. The 3/4" scale wheel profile was too small for 1" scale. At that point in time he decided to do his own pattern work. From there on Jack became a builder of epic proportion. Jack along with Andy Carlson bought a number of cars from a movie lot auction. They developed the 1" scale heavy weight passenger car trucks. Jack's next scratch built was his UP FEF-3. Patterns for an all cast frame, wheels, trailer truck and centipede tender. Wow! Jack had a hand in many of the locomotives at Riverside Live Steamers. He sure knew how to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Thanks Jack.
Last edited by dwilloughby on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickco201

Post by nickco201 »

It'd be great to see some photos of these locomotives!