Machining A2 Steel

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

EdK

Machining A2 Steel

Post by EdK »

I'm in the planning stages of making a carriage stop for my lathe and I have a chunk of A2 steel of the correct size. I'm wondering how this machines and if it's a good choice for the project? I also have a larger chunk of cast iron I could cut the piece out of to use if that would be a more appropriate material for the project. My mill is an Enco RF45 clone gear head mill.

Thanks,
Ed
Attachments
Carriage Stop
Carriage Stop
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.
machine48

Re: Machining A2 Steel

Post by machine48 »

A2 is an air harden tool steel that will machine with high speed or carbide tooling. Keep cutting oil on your cutting tool. It is a good steel for what you want to make.
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

When machining A-2 reduce your cutting speeds to about half when using HSS tools.

A-2 is my first choice when it comes to making parts that need to be heat treated. A-2 machines easily compared to D-2 and A-2 hardens readily after a minimum temperature is reached.

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

What software did you use to draw your parts with.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

I would save that material for something in need of high quality hardening steel and use regular mild steel.
You'll have a screw acting as an adjuster that is going to take the load.

Just my 2 cents
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I'm inclined to agree with Jose, although simply from an economical standpoint. It seems a waste of valuable material when more commonly available material will serve the purpose perfectly well.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
EdK

Post by EdK »

Thanks for all of the comments. I think I'll follow Jose's and Harold's advise and save the good stuff for a proper application.

I'll just get a chunk of 1018 CRS since I need to make a visit to my local metal supplier anyway.

Thanks,
Ed
EdK

Post by EdK »

737mechanic wrote:What software did you use to draw your parts with.
737mechanic,

I use Solid Edge 2D which is a free 2D CAD software package. It's a very powerful CAD package but fairly easy to learn. Any CAD software is going to have a steep learning curve though.

Ed