Question on box brake fingers hardening

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Question on box brake fingers hardening

Post by Harold_V »

Wanna-Be wrote:On the topic of hardening. Flame or surface hardening is not too complicated for gears and smaller parts if you have a small furnace or forge to heat them to about ??? degs. (not sure of the exact temp. since I don't have a pirometor). You will be able to tell when it is at the right temp. by checking it with a magnet.
Surface hardening is a little more complicated than that, as the process typically involves the addition carbon to low carbon steel (pack hardening, or the use of a product such as Kasenit). If mild steel is treated as you suggest, because carbon content is too low, there is little, if any, change in surface hardness. Medium carbon steel, and other steel alloys harden as you suggest, but the hardening is not just at the surface, but through the part. Quench rate determines how deeply. Very heavy cross sections typically have softer cores.

Surface hardening of medium or high carbon content alloys can occur by rapidly heating the surface of the material, whereby the core does not reach a critical temperature. That has been commonly accomplished on lathe beds, as an example, or it can be accomplished by induction heating, using the proper frequency, whereby heating occurs on the surface, alone.

I make mention of this so readers won't get the idea they can make gears from mild steel and achieve a degree of hardness that would be useful. That typically is not the case.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Wanna-Be

Re: Question on box brake fingers hardening

Post by Wanna-Be »

I guess I didn't give my comments much thought as to carbon content. Mostly just thinking of some blacks smithing processes. However, the steel I now use around the machine shop is generally 4140 or similar or chrome molly, mostly from the Navy shipyard scrap that is consigned to a local dealer.
And in retospect I vagely remember some stuff about adding carbon in a furnace envorment. I remember my apprentice school, forged a chisel and center punch and had to harden them and they really held up well in my tool box, until someone stole it.

Sorry if i miss lead anyone on this topic.

Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker