PHASE CONVERTER PLANS

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

hank the dog

PHASE CONVERTER PLANS

Post by hank the dog »

GOOD DAY ALL. I have an old "State Mfg." spindle sander model B4. The darn thing uses a custom motor to the unit so I'm stuck with it. (the motor that is)Problem being my new address doesn't have 3 phase power. I've heard phase converters are easy to build and inexpensive ? I gots a pile of motors and electronic stuff so I'm sure I probly got enough parts already, I just don't have a plan. The only motor I need to run is 1/2 hp. Any links feedback ?? whatever is greatly appreciated. I was looking on E-Bay to buy one when I came across somebody selling plans and said to myself "self, why the hell don't you just build one, your smarts enough" So here I am after an hour or so of Google searches.
Thanks to all in advance, Dave handyman4rent1@yahoo.com
Bstigall

Re: PHASE CONVERTER PLANS

Post by Bstigall »

Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

You might also consider a variable frequency drive as a means of converting to 3 phase for a single application. A used unit in the 1/2 HP size run about $25.00 on eBay.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
hank the dog

Post by hank the dog »

Thank You VERY much. I think my problems are solved. I found a local guy that is willing to help me build one also. Says hes got all the stuff and then some. I've got a couple 3hp 3ph motors laying idle so the expensive part is out of the way. Thanks again, Dave
hank the dog

Post by hank the dog »

For those looking for more info I found another VERY GOOD link http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph-conv/ph-conv.html Dave
Roy

Post by Roy »

Check out my plans for my phase converter I made thats on my website. Its built around a 3 hp idler, self start, and has worked fine since it has been made which is going on 3+ years now......Its used almost daily for hours on end.

http://www.frugalmachinist.com

The phase converter plans are on the Projects Page
Hank The Dog

Post by Hank The Dog »

Thanks again to those who contributed links and info ! For those of you on the fence about building one --- BUILD IT ---- This is by far the easiest piece of equipment to make !! Read the articles, look at the plans, buy a bunch of capacitors and BUILD IT. It is SOOOOOOOOOO SIMPLE you're foolish to buy one. Thanks again
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Wow! You came from 'no plan' to 'expert' in six days, now that's something. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/wink.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Let us see what you have built (photo etc.).
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

I know you've now completed your project, but in the interest of completeness the following link is posted:

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/projec ... hconv.html

Charles
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

You are right, it's posted - shows up in the first reply. No points for an echo:-))
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

Yeah, I noticed that -- just after creating my post. Oh, well.... Nothing succeeds like excess. Charles