Craftsman Companion lathe?

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Rex

Craftsman Companion lathe?

Post by Rex »

Scott's AA 109 project prompted me to share my similar lathe. I ran across this a few months ago and enjoyed rebuilding it. As far as I can determine it was probably made by the AA company in the 1930s. It resembles the Craftsman Companion series, but the remains of the logo that was on it does not look like anything I've seen.
What is interesting is the pulley arrangement for driving the leadscrew. A series of pulleys from the back of the spindle turns the leadscrew. There is a simple half-nut on the left side of the carriage. As you can see I have not yet found any belts appropriate for it.
If anyone has some knowledge of this lathe, I'd sure like to hear it.
Rex

Re: Craftsman Companion lathe?

Post by Rex »

How do I include a photo in the message? Does it have to be posted to a website first, rather than uploaded directly?
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Does the center of the tailstock align correctly with the center of the headstock?

Looks like the headstock center is higher but then it could be my eyesight too. Anyway, may "guess" on this is that the headstock is from a different lathe entirely, perhaps even a wood lathe.

Answer to your second post, Yes it must be on the web someplace first. One possible "work-around" for this is to upload the attachment (as you did) and then using that new URL Chaski gives it plus the [img]Chaski%20URL[/img] tags will allow you to post the photo in the text(leave out any spaces like I have between Cheski and URL within the tags). Lets see if it works.

It works. I decided to delete the test photo.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Rex, using the edit function on your first post you can go back and include the image in that post once you have the Cheski URL (http://www.chaski-test.com/pictures/56453-Im001647.jpg).

I will edit and delete your photo from my post above. There is a time limit on the edit function - I don't know how much time is allowed.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
lathegear

Post by lathegear »

That's a nice job! I took another look at my Craftsman and the tailstock has the tailstock tightening nut on the backside which seems like a pretty odd and unhandy place for it. I see yours is on the right side [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img]. I wonder if it is an Atlas of some sort? Steve sounds right about the headstock. Have you researched here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/page21.html ? This has to be the most copied link ever. Off Topic but what model of model vehicle do you have under the glass there in your photo? Scott.
Rex

Post by Rex »

Here's that Photo Image

The tailstock does line up with the chuck. The lower tailstock clamp is contoured for the bed, and the style matches the headstock shape in the picture of the Companion lathe on Tony's UK site.
And both pieces had the same logo decal on them, neither of which was readable except for "The Right Tool For The Job" and "Michigan".

The model car in the picture is a Bugatti, but I don't recall which one exactly. Late 40's I think. Similar to the Talbot-Lago coupe which is much prettier.

Thanks for the help, guys.
oldgreenjunker

Post by oldgreenjunker »

This is the closest image that I have found so far to my lathe. The biggest differences I can see are the oilers on the headstock as these have caps on them and mine are of the springloaded ball type and mine has a lever mechanism that will move the cutter away from the work piece to , I assume, safely change cutters while the piece is still spinning. Does anyone have more pictures of this lathe? How good of a lathe is it considered to be? thanks.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

You mention an image, but it was not posted. Makes it hard to offer any comments.
Images hosted on the board are posted as attachments, if you don't know. If they're hosted off the Chaski board, all you need do is include a link so readers can access the location.

Welcome to the board.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.