What size 4-Jaw for Smithy?

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

rjnbaer939

What size 4-Jaw for Smithy?

Post by rjnbaer939 »

I have a Smithy 1220 and would like a 4 Jaw chuck. I see they offer either a 6" or 8". I realize the 8" is probably a bit heavier-any other advantages/disadvantages for either one??? Thanks.
jutz

Re: What size 4-Jaw for Smithy?

Post by jutz »

Basically, if your work tends to be on the large side, you'll probably be happier with the larger chuck; if you tend to work on small pieces, you'll be happier with the smaller chuck. My work tends to span the range of the tool's capabilities so I wish I had a whole assortment of chucks. I frequently find myself having to improvise ways to work around the jaws of my 8" chuck when turning small parts and it won't go smaller than about 1/2" so I have to sleeve or shim anything smaller than that, which can be a real pain.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

This is a long shot, but if you happen to be in the N. Cal area I'm planning to sell a Smithy 1220 XL plus most all accessories (3 jaw, center and follow rests, etc.), including a new in the box 6" 4 jaw. Just haven't gotten around to taking photos and listing this yet.
witkowbj

Post by witkowbj »

I have the 8" and the only other issue that I have that wasnt listed above is the fact that you have to watch the table near the chuck with the 8" (another downfall of the 3in1,) but I dont know if the 6" is any better.

PeteM, are you planning on parting out the items, or are you selling the whole lot? I'm in Michigan, so it would not be a pick up, but I may be interested in some of the Smithy accessories if you are not selling a whole package.

Brian
Herm Williams

Post by Herm Williams »

Hello
I had that problem with my ten inch four jaw until I got a three inch three jaw, I put it in the larger four jaw, indicate it in and turn the smaller jobs with ease.
my two cents worth
hermwill@cox.net
jutz

Post by jutz »

I have a two inch 4-jaw from an older lathe which I've used similarly but it would still be nice to have a smaller 4-jaw I could put directly on the spindle.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Dont go swimming upstream. Most machnists I know use a chuck appropriate for the work. I use a 3 jaw most always, roughing in work. for small stuff I chuck up a Craftsman 4 jaw I got and go make biddy little parts. It gets the carriage and stuff further out for visibilty adn easier ops. Yeah, its further from the bearing but the work is fine so it evens out.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Brian, I'll probably sell the accessories alone (steady rest, follow rest, 4 jaw, full set of MT collets, etc.); any of which could be UPS'd. Headed out of town for a week, but you can reach me at: [email]peternospam@designinsight.com.[/email] Just take out the "nospam" part to have a valid address. Regards, Pete
MAC3-1

Post by MAC3-1 »

How is the quality of the smithy 4 jaw