Did you pull any weeds today?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

PRR5406

Re: Did you pull any weeds today?

Post by PRR5406 »

I've seen people try using salt water and my reflection is DON'T! Saltwater may slow the weeds, but it doesn't last. It does, however, corrode the aluminum and steel of your tracks.
"Round Up" is very effective and I use it, but studies have linked it to cancer. You may want to wear rubber gloves as you apply it. Maybe keep it away from your well, too.
Regarding ticks however, squash the little bas%#*@^!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Glenn:
That's three weeks?? Is Alfred Hitchcock hiding in there somewhere?
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Wear a respirator and some sort of eye protection and rubber boots if you are spraying except water.

Been using the stuff for decades...just carefully, as I would with any chemical.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:54 am Glenn:
Glenn lives in Woodenville, WA, better known as Waterville! Or perhaps Weedville??
RussN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

NP317 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:59 pm
Greg_Lewis wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:54 am Glenn:
Glenn lives in Woodenville, WA, better known as Waterville! Or perhaps Weedville??
RussN
Oy vey! Here in California's Central Valley, if we don't water it, it don't grow.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Gregg, yes, basically three weeks growth. Never seen it like this.

A friend stoped by yesterday. I showed him the weed patch. He works as a wetlands and environmental planner for a local city government. He suggested using vinegar spray. Apparently quite effective for most forms of weed control and no harmful side effects.

Not sure about what concentration to use. But I think I will give it a try. Hardware store variety is cheap- couple of bucks/gal.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

NP317 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:59 pm Glenn lives in Woodenville, WA, better known as Waterville! Or perhaps Weedville??
RussN
Heh! For folks who live where it isn't as green as we are, it may be hard to understand the speed at which weeds (and trees) grow here. Trees, as an example, put on two to three feet in height annually, assuming they're doug firs, hemlocks or western red cedars.

Weeds and blackberries (another weed here) are wicked aggressive.

The year after Susan and I purchased our land here in Washington we received a phone call from the only neighbor we would have at the time, informing us that some moron using a machete had hacked his way into our fully wooded land with the idea in mind of buying it if he liked what he saw. By the time we got back up here to see for ourselves, it had, for all intents and purposes, grown over almost fully. Just a few months time.

Here, moss grows on anything that isn't protected and doesn't see full sun. Asphalt shingles on roofs grow moss on any exposed edge and an RV often has moss growing on the finish, which, if allowed to remain, will pit the painted coating (as it did our travel trailer). Without applying zinc to roofs, they can be totally destroyed in short order.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

All you need is kudzu to make it really intolerable.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

but studies have linked it to cancer.
Only ONE study out there has said that it was a likely cancer causing agent. That happens to be the study that all of the lawyers have glommed onto and use, and it has been widely distributed. Lots of false information around. I'm not affiliated with that company or anything like that. I just don't like it when a good and useful product gets a lot of bad PR, because the next step will be calls for it to be banned. I definitely don't want that. If you don't want to use it, then don't. I just want it to be available to me for when I want to use it.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

totally agree...world would starve without it....i am not afraid of it, but respect what any airborne chemical can do.

however that does not mean that a user should not take basic precautions that should be applied to use of any chemical.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Agreed!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

I don’t think I’d use salt water.

When the Romans sacked Carthage they tilled salt into the soil to prevent it ever supporting crops again.

Some plants can take salt, depending on the concentration, like beach and ocean shoreline plants. Most can’t.

Just my two cents.