Custom Locomotive interest?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

kcameron

Re: Custom Locomotive interest?

Post by kcameron »

Well I would say that the whole 4 3/4" gauge market is underserved. There are sources for many locos in the 7 1/4" and 7 1/2" gauge world. But as for the size of that market, it is less likely to be not considered very large. But here I think Friends is the only one offering any castings for the small scales in steam and Backyard Trains in Denver is making diesel type locos. But I doubt there would be large volumes of work here.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Totally agree on the 4-3/4 observation.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Let's face it: approximately 85% of the North American 'Live Steam' market is in 7 1/4"-7 1/2" gauge, maybe more. We as a hobby collectively decided that 'bigger is better' back in the 1960s and 70s, and everything has moved that way. Just look at the number of tracks in a particular gauge and that will give you an idea of how big the market can potentially be.
Knowing that, if someone did want to build a locomotive for sale pre-machined or completed, you would definitely want to do that in 7 1/4 and 7 1/2 inch gauge. It would need to be something small and compact, easy to handle, made for beginners, and something very 'universal' which could be modified with whatever domes, cab, etc... you want. Sort of like Accucraft did with their Ruby locomotive in 45mm gauge. Modular would also be very good, much like Allen Models and RRSC have tried to do: If you had more than one locomotive type they should all use the same cylinders, axle boxes, drive wheels, axles, springs, smoke box, stack, etc... so that you had fewer parts to have to keep in inventory.

It can be done, but I think it would take a lot to bring it about and the product would need to be very good and well thought out... something many people would like and would be willing to put down their money for.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

So what prevents someone from purchasing an 0-4-0 from RRSC and moving forward from there?
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Nothing... They absolutely could. I guess I didn't realize that they (RRSC) still offered machined parts/assemblies, or finished locomotives.
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

A loooong time ago I was researching the offer of a simple ridable kit locomotive based on a bare bones locomotive (think garden scale "Ruby") made entirely from bar stock. The details / kit bashing was to up to the builder so it could be the "builders" locomotive, and not just like every other locomotive on the market. The kit was to cost around 5K back in year 2000 prices. Even then, the cost of materials and the addition of the boiler built by a reputable boiler builder would have provided my shop with a profit that was unsustainable if there were only a few kits made per year. As I approach retirement age, I am again thinking about getting into the business side of the hobby, but this time just offer my skills as a machinist and not try to figure out what everyone wants for "their" locomotive. I'm sure that there are plenty of builders that are a bit nervous about machining cylinders, of frames, or wheels or ... and would love to have help in those "more expensive / higher tech" areas.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

amen to that....
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

That's generous, Bruce. "Wicked generous", as we in Maine might say!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
RThomp

Post by RThomp »

Seems like the open source "scotty" 2-6-0 would fit the bill as something only needing 2 patterns - 1 drive wheel pattern and 1 cylinder pattern. the rest all barstock and relatively simple
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

or a 'Dinky'
Andy R

a bit nervous about machining cylinders

Post by Andy R »

Bruce's idea about "... plenty of builders that are a bit nervous about machining cylinders ..." has merit.
If I were to consider building a new 7.5-inch gauge steamer the investment in much larger machines and tooling would be great.
But that investment would be applicable to only a few large parts: drivers, cylinders, smoke box saddle, smoke box face, maybe the smoke box itself, maybe the pilot and trailing truck wheels, and perhaps fluting the rods. Everything else can be made on much smaller machinery than what would be required for the big stuff (assuming water-jet or laser cut flat parts) ... thus an offering such as what Bruce discussed may be a success. Some linkage with a supplier such as Railroad Supply or Allen Models might be appropriate? my 2 cents
backyardrails

Post by backyardrails »

Bill Shields wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:39 pm or a 'Dinky'
I bought a set of castings and drawings for Dinky. I just got the frame material. It's a nice little engine.
Bernie Grow
MLS