Lubricator

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Mjordan

Lubricator

Post by Mjordan »

Would it be silly to add a mechanical lubricator to supply oil to the main journal bearings? Would excess oil be an issue dripping on the tracks? Just a thought
SPSteam2491

Re: Lubricator

Post by SPSteam2491 »

What material are your main bearing made from?

Mechanical lubricator should be far down the list of good ways to keep the main journals lubricated. Nothing ruins a day of running like driving on greased rails because of excess oil dripping on the tracks.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

In short...no

Amen to the above greasy rail comment

At most, a way to squirt oil in to something that will drip into the bearings.

A reservoir with felt at the bottom to keep out dirt is a personal favorite.

Any mechanical lubricator will supply way more oil than needed...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Mjordan

Post by Mjordan »

Oil on rails is what I’m afraid would happen.

I don’t 100% know what material they are, I wasn’t the builder of this engine. But the oil points are such a pain to get to, almost impossible to do off a stand.

So I was just curious and wanted to ask more experienced steamers.
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

They might not be oil, they may be for grease. My 1½" Little Engines Atlantic has holes in the back of the axle boxes. Originally I thought it had friction bearings but when doing a short rebuild, I found out they were ball bearings and the hole for a grease port. And oil in a ball bearing is a sure fire way to burn them out quickly.

Do some more analysis of the engine to get a better idea on the material, then make the right decision based on the information you find.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
Mjordan

Post by Mjordan »

They are brass journal bearings. They have a stem to add oil, they’re just hard to get to with an oil can w/flex hose. I may just re-fab the stem to be longer and more accessible.

Thanks for the input on the lubricator. Pretty much solidified my original worry about too much oil.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Lube up through the center hole of the axle
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

Mine are lubricated through a hole in the center of the axle. A push button oiler seals the hole. A couple pumps with an oil can has served well for 30 years.

Regarding your mechanical lubricator idea it would not have to pump continuously. A small hand crank or knob would let you pump in oil as needed.
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

I replaced the flex hose on the oil can with a 1/8" or 3/16" fabricated copper tube with the tapered tip to make getting into hard to reach spots. You can bend it to suit, and reaches through spoked wheels and such.

Rob
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

How about installing a central 1-Shot lube system? Push (or pull) the plunger a couple of times and be lubed for the day. If you have stems you're half-way there.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Personally I prefer taking the time to lubricate the chassis one item at a time.
That also serves as an inspection opportunity to make sure items are still in their correct positions.
I HAVE found such issues when oiling around.

All part of running steam locomotives: Enjoy the steaming process and not just the ride.
RussN
Mjordan

Post by Mjordan »

I like the idea of making it hand operated. Give a few pumps during steam up. I’ll still lube up all the outside moving parts with a hand oil can. I just wanted something to get the pain in the butt places while on the ground.