Mystery Tool

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tornitore45

Mystery Tool

Post by tornitore45 »

Anyone knows what this tool may be?
The rest of handle looks like a watchmaker screwdriver.
The wire is to show features.
There is a small groove on top, the center hole 1s 1/2" deep, but the wire can surface at the milled-out slot.
The point has a shallow counterbore before the small hole where the wire pass through.
One of the accessories looks like a wrap-wire stripper but cannot envision the tool use in wire-wrap applications, and I have done my share of wire wrapping.
Attachments
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG (27.7 KiB) Viewed 923 times
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
rmac

Re: Mystery Tool

Post by rmac »

I think it is a manual wire wrap tool. Here's a picture of what looks like the same thing. (I grabbed the picture from Amazon's web site.)
Attachments
wire_wrap_tool.png
wire_wrap_tool.png (132.1 KiB) Viewed 915 times
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Exactly. But can't figure how to use it, which is OK. My wire-wrapping days are over for good.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

Not suggesting it but there was a tool called a "Punchdown tool" that may have been similar. It's been 30 years since I was involved it such stuff. :-)
...lew...
rmac

Post by rmac »

tornitore45 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:29 pm Exactly. But can't figure how to use it, which is OK. My wire-wrapping days are over for good.
Are there two holes in the end--one centered and another (probably smaller) one offset towards the slot that's milled on the outside?
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Yes you can see the wire entering the tool end and exiting shortly after through the radial hole in the slot.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Looks like a wire wrap driver and a stripping tool to me, not sure what the third block is.

Take a piece of wire-wrap wire, push it down into the slotted tool, and pull to strip the insulation off 1/4-1/2" from the end. Place the short end , now stripped, into the hole at the end of the wrapping tool (extending up the groove, not first into the groove and then out the hole), leaving long end to bend over the edge of the tool. Place the wrapping tool over the pin to be wrapped and twist... the short end wraps around the pin leaving the tool free and the wire attached. Cut the wire to length and repeat strip/wrap on the other end.

Edit: This Jameco tech-tip looks to have virtually the same stripping tool, just made from brass instead of steel:
https://www.jameco.com/Jameco/workshop/ ... ewrap.html